Lesson Plans...

GUNIT

Hey guys,

I've been sitting here making lesson plans and have come across a question I have for you guys. I have created a syllabus for private pilot students outlining roughly 22 lessons which are to be repeated as necessary. So far I have been creating lesson plans by lesson. However, do you think it would be better to do them by maneuver? As sometimes I have various maneuvers combined in lessons. Any advice?

You can always easily combine them later for a lesson that will cover a couple at a time. That said, type them out separately using the objectives and common errors listed in the FAA AFH. It will make your life a whole lot easier to have them separate in case you need to pick and choose from them later.

It will soon be behind you, too. Getting those lessons together was the hardest part of the CFI for me.:)

However, do you think it would be better to do them by maneuver? As sometimes I have various maneuvers combined in lessons. Any advice?

Yes. That's really what a lesson plan is, not something that normally corresponds to the entire lesson period. If you do ground reference maneuvers today, then you may have three lesson plans.

I made up a book of all the required maneuvers and landings that I basically copied and pasted together from the Airplane Flying Handbook and pasted the PTS standards next to them. I had it laminated and spiral bound and carry it with me in my headset bag.

That way I don't have specific lessons for the maneuvers, but can pull that out whenever I want and cover what needs the most work.

Edit: Attached maneuvers book

It is laid out to be printed and folded in half with the picture side being the back of the page. I use a dry erase marker to make notes.

please take a look, any suggestions are welcome

second edit, formatting errors fixed

Attachments

• maneuvers.pdf
    773 KB · Views: 213
Okay sounds good. For most of the maneuvers (steep turns, slowflight, stalls) I was planning on doing their own lesson plans. However, for the first few flights where the student is just learning to control the aircraft (straight and level, level turns, climbs, descents, etc..) I have been going by lesson. I think I'll just retitle them for their respective maneuvers. Thanks guys!

I made up a book of all the required maneuvers and landings that I basically copied and pasted together from the Airplane Flying Handbook and pasted the PTS standards next to them. I had it laminated and spiral bound and carry it with me in my headset bag.

That way I don't have specific lessons for the maneuvers, but can pull that out whenever I want and cover what needs the most work.

Edit: Attached maneuvers book

It is laid out to be printed and folded in half with the picture side being the back of the page. I use a dry erase marker to make notes.

please take a look, any suggestions are welcome

Excellent work. I saved it for future reference, hope you don't mind. Do you think you should give yourself credit somewhere in the document?

Some format errors I noticed were "Task: S-Turns" appears a page early. Also, "Task: Rectangular Course" appears at the bottom of the first and top of the second page.

Excellent work. I saved it for future reference, hope you don't mind. Do you think you should give yourself credit somewhere in the document?

Some format errors I noticed were "Task: S-Turns" appears a page early. Also, "Task: Rectangular Course" appears at the bottom of the first and top of the second page.
yeah I noticed those, give me a few to fix that.

You had to earn it:D

1360862747_26cf66b87d_o.gif

Back