Controlling Traffic Internationally

Rooster

Does the 3-month ATC training the FAA provides teach you everything you need to know in order to control traffic in countries other than the US? Of course no other country is hiring quite like the US is right now, but would it be just a matter of memorizing their local airspace and getting hired? Do other countries even hire civilian controllers or is it all military? If you have any insights or have controlled in other countries yourself, I'd appreciate any light you could shed on this.

Does the 3-month ATC training the FAA provides teach you everything you need to know in order to control traffic in countries other than the US? No Of course no other country is hiring quite like the US is right now, but would it be just a matter of memorizing their local airspace and getting hired? Nope Do other countries even hire civilian controllers or is it all military? Again, No If you have any insights or have controlled in other countries yourself, I'd appreciate any light you could shed on this.

What question are trying to get at? The only guys i know that are controlling in other countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan. they are retired controllers for both the faa as well as military (some did both). It pays well but from what i have heard its one of those 'its who you know' jobs

What question are you trying to get at?

Well, the USA isn't the only place in the world where planes are coming and going, so I figured if the knowledge gleaned from the OKC training was transferable, then if our jobs were lost to privatization or computers we could continue controlling traffic around the world. Maybe the question I'm trying to get at is: "How do you get hired as a controller in another country"?

Well, the USA isn't the only place in the world where planes are coming and going, so I figured if the knowledge gleaned from the OKC training was transferable, then if our jobs were lost to privatization or computers we could continue controlling traffic around the world. Maybe the question I'm trying to get at is: "How do you get hired as a controller in another country"?
thats why it is good to have a plan b

I have looked into controlling in other countries. As far as I am aware, most countries in Europe have civilians working traffic. The two that I have looked at (only mildly looked at) are Sweden and Great Britain. If you went through the training here, you would still have to go through there training program, but obviously you would be advantaged. It is just a matter of applying for a job, getting it, and doing the training. Both are run by private companies if I am not mistaken.

Most other countries, just like the US, require you to be a citizen of that country. There are companies..IE SERCO that provides ATC jobs throughout the world.

Doug...it's a controller thing.

To answer your questions, yes, Europe does hire Civilian Controllers, granted they are not in the hiring binge that the U.S. is but they are at least hiring.

My Fiance is German so I looked into possible going over to Europe to Start out.

The most notable one is EuroControl, it is located in the south of Netherlands, near the German Border, it is kinda like the ARTCC of western europe. They have a little stricter requirement for age, but that is about all.

The other one I know specifically about is, DFS, it is essentially the German FAA. Right now they are hiring a few inexperienced controllers, but mostly experienced controllers. Very similar requirements to the FAA, and the language is not an issue, you only need to be willing to learn German. They Pay a lot better too, and it is in Euros not Dollars.

In fact, it is pretty much a Universal is that you only have to be able to speak/read/write English, and be willing to learn the host Country language. And most countries have no problem Hiring non-nationals.....for the most part, they are a little(A LOT) more generous than the U.S. on giving out work Visas.

The other one I know specifically about is, DFS, it is essentially the German FAA. Right now they are hiring a few inexperienced controllers, but mostly experienced controllers. Very similar requirements to the FAA, and the language is not an issue, you only need to be willing to learn German. They Pay a lot better too, and it is in Euros not Dollars.

Hell, I took German for six years (forgotten most of it), I should have applied for a job there. You know what, I think I will!

edit - Damn it all! One of the requirements says "Maximum Age: 24" and I'm 25...

Back