probly pointless, but i need a new job.

invertmast

My current job is about to drive me insane w/ their "mom and pop" business ethics BS that doesn't involve keeping employee's happy. Been flying King-air 90's for a year now, so i'd prefer something with turbines hanging off of it (kingairs preferably). Willing to relocate if the pay allows me to....

Times are as follows:
1330 TT
1200 PIC
340 Multi
320 Turbine Multi
260 Turbine Multi PIC
600 X-country
150 Night
100 Actual Instrument
65 Sim'd instrument

Commercial Multi and Single Ratings w/ instrument priv., CFI, CFII, A&P certificate.

Rant Mode: On

As long as the paycheck doesn't bounce, and they honor the terms and conditions of employment that presumably they laid out and you agreed to, then you have no complaint. It's not up to mom and pop to keep you happy. You're the employee. You're getting paid to do a job. They're the customer and they are paying for your services. You're job is to make them happy. If you can't or won't or don't do that, then step aside and let make room for someone who will. Otherwise shut up and fly the airplane. Remember, if mom and pop can't satisfy their customers, you're not going to have a job to complain about.

Rant Mode: Off

That's not saying that you shouldn't pursue other opportunites. More power to you. But do so because it is better for you, not because of some ridiculus notion that mom and pop are failing to keep you happy. Your happiness is not their responsibility.

By the way, it sounds like you have some good qualifications. There are opporunities out there. Be prepared for when they come along. Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Rant Mode: On

As long as the paycheck doesn't bounce, and they honor the terms and conditions of employment that presumably they laid out and you agreed to, then you have no complaint. It's not up to mom and pop to keep you happy. You're the employee. You're getting paid to do a job. They're the customer and they are paying for your services. You're job is to make them happy. If you can't or won't or don't do that, then step aside and let make room for someone who will. Otherwise shut up and fly the airplane. Remember, if mom and pop can't satisfy their customers, you're not going to have a job to complain about.

Rant Mode: Off

That's not saying that you shouldn't pursue other opportunites. More power to you. But do so because it is better for you, not because of some ridiculus notion that mom and pop are failing to keep you happy. Your happiness is not their responsibility.

By the way, it sounds like you have some good qualifications. There are opporunities out there. Be prepared for when they come along. Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Yea.. i understand some of the rant. But when you are promised an upgrade when you return from a trip, but yet when you return, you find out they gave the upgrade to a part time employee who DOES NOT want the upgrade, i bet you'd be a bit ticked off to. Ohh, and how bout the fact that someone who has less experience, less ratings making the same amount of $$$ as you. Again, not exactly "happy" employee material IMO. And how about someone who was hired a few weeks after you going on DOUBLE the amount of "trips/missions" and flying over twice as much flight time in 6 months than you have done in a YEAR.. again, not happy employee material. And a rotation that is setup like "who hasn't flown lately" and if you dont complain, and are left in there memory as not flying lately, you may get over-looked on the next trip. oh, and how about the last review i did, i was told "You need to complain more". What kind of employer honestly looks for employee's to complain!?

I've got things like this, that i could keep going on and on about, but it would be about a 2 page long thread in one post then. They aren't responsible for keeping me happy, but when 90% of the pilot community in the company aren't happy, and the employer doesn't care, then something needs to change. And frankly, im ready to make the change to a new job. I'm REQUIRED to keep a 40 hour work week flying or working on a king-air for less than what i was making as a flight instructor.

Oh.. and since when is "mom and pop" business ethics OK for a company w/ over 100 airplanes, with close to 400 employee's?

I've got alot of ranting i could do, but i'll choose to stop there.

Yea.. i understand some of the rant. But when you are promised an upgrade when you return from a trip, but yet when you return, you find out they gave the upgrade to a part time employee who DOES NOT want the upgrade, i bet you'd be a bit ticked off to. Ohh, and how bout the fact that someone who has less experience, less ratings making the same amount of $$$ as you. Again, not exactly "happy" employee material IMO. And how about someone who was hired a few weeks after you going on DOUBLE the amount of "trips/missions" and flying over twice as much flight time in 6 months than you have done in a YEAR.. again, not happy employee material. And a rotation that is setup like "who hasn't flown lately" and if you dont complain, and are left in there memory as not flying lately, you may get over-looked on the next trip. oh, and how about the last review i did, i was told "You need to complain more". What kind of employer honestly looks for employee's to complain!?

Look on the bright side - you're getting paid to fly airplanes...jobs are scarce right now and a lot of guys, including me, are feeling it. I know you're just looking to move up and that's awesome, but your rant about how terrible it is to be flying a King Air sounds kinda whiny. I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in what's wrong at your job...I do it all the time...but it makes you lose perspective. I've got a little more than half your TT, but I would imagine I'm not alone in thinking that if I was flying a King Air and collecting a paycheck, I'd be feeling alright.

The guy who "has less experience than you making the same amount of money" bit is a little off-putting. If he's doing the same job you are and is qualified, I don't see any reason why he should be making less. The bar that defines "experienced" (in a company's eyes) is constantly changing. Last year 300TT could get you into a jet, now it's 1000TT. It's not as if you hit x amount of hours and get promoted.

In asking you to complain more, it sounds like you're not giving them feedback that could possibly improve your situation. Give them some constructive criticism. Just make sure you approach it from a positive angle, "I think it would really improve morale if ___________", not "Morale sucks around here because _________."

Anyway...my point is don't lose yourself to complaining.

Look on the bright side - you're getting paid to fly airplanes...jobs are scarce right now and a lot of guys, including me, are feeling it. I know you're just looking to move up and that's awesome, but your rant about how terrible it is to be flying a King Air sounds kinda whiny. I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in what's wrong at your job...I do it all the time...but it makes you lose perspective. I've got a little more than half your TT, but I would imagine I'm not alone in thinking that if I was flying a King Air and collecting a paycheck, I'd be feeling alright.

The guy who "has less experience than you making the same amount of money" bit is a little off-putting. If he's doing the same job you are and is qualified, I don't see any reason why he should be making less. The bar that defines "experienced" (in a company's eyes) is constantly changing. Last year 300TT could get you into a jet, now it's 1000TT. It's not as if you hit x amount of hours and get promoted.

In asking you to complain more, it sounds like you're not giving them feedback that could possibly improve your situation. Give them some constructive criticism. Just make sure you approach it from a positive angle, "I think it would really improve morale if ___________", not "Morale sucks around here because _________."

Anyway...my point is don't lose yourself to complaining.

i'm definately not complaining that i get to do what i love and collect a paycheck, i'm complaining that they company doesn't take constructive criticism and put it to use. Ever since that review, i have been putting in ALOT of feedback and nothing has been done or even spoken of it since then. Thats what i'm fed up with most with the place. And its bad b/c one of the guys i just flew with this past week who has been with the place for a long time had a conversation with me about what i think could be changed at the place, and we both agree'd, but we know it will never happen b/c they have an unlimited amount of Resources for "cheap" pilots from a school.

Oh, and the other guy has the "qualifications" but this is not a 100% flying job. Its more like a 20% flying, 80% maintenance (i have my A&P) and the other guy doesn't have his A&P, but he still makes the same ground rate as i do. Flying rate doesn't matter to me as far as fairness (b/c like u said, 300TT or 30,000TT. Right seat is right seat, so pay is going to go with position and not experience). But when i've got 18years mx. experience (been working on something since i was 4) and 4 years of that w/ an A&P, a fresh "green-back" shows up and makes the same as me.. kinda irks the skin.oh, and how bout the fact that Raises only happen once a year. And if you are not in town when that happens, you get skipped over for your raise until the following year.:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Maybe my vacation this week will help me settle down. :nana2::banghead:

I would imagine I'm not alone in thinking that if I was flying a King Air and collecting a paycheck, I'd be feeling alright..
I'm sure lots of people who have never been paid to fly (beyond as a CFI) would agree with you.

But the mere fact that you are getting paid to fly a plane bigger than a seminole doesn't erase the fact that it's a job. Once the "newness" of your first job wears off you'll probably agree, and you'll probably already be tired of hearing "at least your getting paid to fly".

I'm sure lots of people who have never been paid to fly (beyond as a CFI) would agree with you.

But the mere fact that you are getting paid to fly a plane bigger than a seminole doesn't erase the fact that it's a job. Once the "newness" of your first job wears off you'll probably agree, and you'll probably already be tired of hearing "at least your getting paid to fly".

Totally agree. I think it would be a bad idea to quit a job like invertmast has unless he has an offer somewhere else (barring safety issues of course). But to take a look and see what's out there because of job dissatisfaction is totally reasonable. Flying a King Air is great, but if you feel like you're being taken advantage of, the novely wears off VERY quick.

Totally agree. I think it would be a bad idea to quit a job like invertmast has unless he has an offer somewhere else (barring safety issues of course). But to take a look and see what's out there because of job dissatisfaction is totally reasonable. Flying a King Air is great, but if you feel like you're being taken advantage of, the novely wears off VERY quick.

I definately dont plan to quit a job until i have an offer elsewhere.. Finances and bills just dont allow it. Plus i enjoy having some spending money, even if its only $20-30 a week. And the novelty of this job wore off in about 3 months, i've just been struggling along b/c of the 1 year "agreement" I had to sign when i was hired. But yet their is nothing in that agreement that even constitutes a plausible reason for me having to sign it. Unless you count .7 hours of "training" when i first got hired as something that constitutes a year contract with a company. Safety issues... ohh i'm glad someone mentioned that. let me post up this and let me see if yall think its as big as a safety issue as i believe it is:

sunday afternoon-informed leaving for trip at 4AM on monday. IE be at airport at 3AM.
Monday up at 2:30am (after 4 hours of sleep) arrive at destination at 9am. Work until 11pm that night.
Tuesday up at 5:30 am work until 9:30AM WEDNESDAY! morning!!
Wed. afternoon- up at 1pm work until 5am Thursday morning.
Thursday- finally a day off
Friday- up at 6am work until 5am Saturday morning..

So all in all i got a total of about 20 hours of sleep in a work week.. And the manager says "whats unsafe about that?" Isn't part 91 work grand :rolleyes:

My current job is about to drive me insane w/ their "mom and pop" business ethics BS that doesn't involve keeping employee's happy. Been flying King-air 90's for a year now, so i'd prefer something with turbines hanging off of it (kingairs preferably). Willing to relocate if the pay allows me to....

Times are as follows:
1330 TT
1200 PIC
340 Multi
320 Turbine Multi
260 Turbine Multi PIC
600 X-country
150 Night
100 Actual Instrument
65 Sim'd instrument

Commercial Multi and Single Ratings w/ instrument priv., CFI, CFII, A&P certificate.

Dude, you have a job at 1330TT flying MTPIC in a king air. Stay put, and reap the benefits of that. Get a 1000MTPIC, then go anywhere you want in the industry, plus you've got an A&P, so you could litterally do anything after hitting 1000 MTPIC.

Dude, you have a job at 1330TT flying MTPIC in a king air. Stay put, and reap the benefits of that. Get a 1000MTPIC, then go anywhere you want in the industry, plus you've got an A&P, so you could litterally do anything after hitting 1000 MTPIC.

actually its SIC time, but alot of the time, the captains alternate flights, so u get to log pic time as well. I'm currently waiting.. again for a captain upgrade. I have to get another 100 hours of PIC time before they will consider it for the division i transferred to (aerial applications).

actually its SIC time, but alot of the time, the captains alternate flights, so u get to log pic time as well. I'm currently waiting.. again for a captain upgrade. I have to get another 100 hours of PIC time before they will consider it for the division i transferred to (aerial applications).

They don't let you fly every other leg?

depends on the captain. so dont let you do anything b/c they are to incompetent (i've flown with some, that have had no business being PIC in a cessna, let alone a king-air) and then others let you do everything.

depends on the captain. so dont let you do anything b/c they are to incompetent (i've flown with some, that have had no business being PIC in a cessna, let alone a king-air) and then others let you do everything.

Man, have I been there...

Lots of air ambulance jobs that I'll bet you could land with some PIC in kingair 90. If you choose not to go that route, I'd recommend something involving a type rating if you can land it. I'm sitting at 4000/1000MTPIC and the job market does not look promising if you aren't typed. Just a datapoint. Good luck.

Lots of air ambulance jobs that I'll bet you could land with some PIC in kingair 90. If you choose not to go that route, I'd recommend something involving a type rating if you can land it. I'm sitting at 4000/1000MTPIC and the job market does not look promising if you aren't typed. Just a datapoint. Good luck.

ive thought of and applied to one air ambulance place. Most of them want more total time than i have. and ive got a few high dollar items i could eliminate and come up with $10-12,000 to buy a type. but then question is. do i get a type in the larger king airs, or spend the money on a type for one of the newer VLJ's, or a citation

I've always been told that a type is pretty much worthless if you don't have a substantial amount of time in type. I can see that maybe not being true on a KA300 if you have a stack of time in a 200 or maybe a 90, but for a jet, I don't think it will be worth the investment. There still seem to be jobs for guys with about your times flying right seat in lears and beechjets on climbto350. I don't know whether they'd type you right off or not.

I don't understand, could you please clarify... This may be different from JAR, which I'm used to in Europe..

Can you log PIC time in the right seat, if it is 'your leg'. I'm pretty sure that the answer is no, as the guy in the left seat is the one who fits the FAA PIC requirement as 'ultimately responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft'.

If you could just clarify, that would be great! FAR parts, and regulations are a whole new chapter in my simple, previously JAA life!

P

Back