What does it take for a 91/121/135 to carry a firearm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taseal

What does one need to do to carry a firearm?

as far as 91, and your own plane, it would depend on state laws I guess....

but what about 121 and 135? to be able to carry in those enviroments... what do you need to do?

91 is legal. 121 you have to take the FFDO program and be sponsored by your air carrier. The nice thing about FFDO is you can get discounts on new firearms from SIG and Glock (prolly others as well). To conceal carry you cannot carry in a secure area of an airport meaning no Part 139 type airport, basically where paying pax are located. You could probably get away with conceal carry/open carry at smaller GA airports. I know some sea plane guys open carry down in Florida in case of run ins with gators. Same in Alaska wiht bears.

As always check local and state laws....Not sure with 135?

91 is legal. 121 you have to take the FFDO program and be sponsored by your air carrier. The nice thing about FFDO is you can get discounts on new firearms from SIG and Glock (prolly others as well). To conceal carry you cannot carry in a secure area of an airport meaning no Part 139 type airport, basically where paying pax are located. You could probably get away with conceal carry/open carry at smaller GA airports. I know some sea plane guys open carry down in Florida in case of run ins with gators. Same in Alaska wiht bears.

As always check local and state laws....Not sure with 135?

cool thx man...

so with the FFDO thing, is it conceal carry, or open carry? I assume its conceal carry, IE under the coat?

and is FFDO only for captains, or will a newly FO get this too if he can provide some letters from like LEOs saying this person is efficient with firearms bla bla bla

its something I'd like to do, but not sure how hard it is to get.... (not that i'm 121 yet either, but for the future)

so with the FFDO thing, is it conceal carry, or open carry? I assume its conceal carry, IE under the coat?

That's a little too close to operational details to be discussed openly on a regularly spidered interweb forum.

and is FFDO only for captains, or will a newly FO get this too if he can provide some letters from like LEOs saying this person is efficient with firearms bla bla bla

It's open to both CAs and FOs, no such letters required. They will train you.

Just so you know this is a VERY hotly contested issue and you'll find very few people who any of it funny.
As others have said details should not be shared on this thread and as far as you becoming one wait until you get hired first before you seek details.
Also the true FFDOs are the ones that never talk about the issue.
I know you are young and into guns but my advice would be not to advertise the two together. Kind of defeats the purpose unless the whole point of you doing it is some ego trip having a firearm with you inside an aircraft.

Fly Safe and good luck in your career.

Lock the thread before someone does spill some beans..... Don't plan on carrying as a pilot or pax unless your job is federal in nature and you will not be asking the question if you are to be carrying because it would be obvious. There is an FFDO program and your 121 carrier will supply you with the appropriate internal contacts for further info.

Up here you have to have something on the airplane for a long flight cross inhospitable terrain. If you go down, you'll die without a weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back