Wow. This was close...

Rizer

Fresno, CA, USA (KFSN) -- Fresno Yosemite International Airport saw two planes come just a few yards from colliding Thursday night on the same runway.

The planes came just 15 feet apart from each other. That's roughly from here to here. The national transportation safety board is now coming out to investigate the near collision.
Inside the Fresno Airport Tower Thursday night ... Federal aviation administrators believe air traffic controllers mistakenly gave the green light for a commercial jet with 51 people on board to land on a strip already occupied by a private Piper PA46.

"It appeared as though the piper was starting to turn onto a taxiway I believe the controller assumed that the piper was making that turn and cleared the SkyWest to land however the piper didn't end up turning on the taxiway and remained on the runway."

National transportation safety board investigators say a single engine piper pa46 landed on runway 29r at just after nine p.m.
Before it moved off the runway the tower cleared a Delta SkyWest Commuter jet to land on the same runway. The SkyWest plane out of Salt Lake City was forced to veer to the right to avoid an accident.

"The SkyWest pilot told us the piper was well to the left side of the runway and that the SkyWest regional jet seemed to miss the piper by about 15 feet wingtip to wingtip."

Investigators say skies were clear at the time, visibility 10 miles when the planes touched down just after dark.

48 passengers were on board the SkyWest flight- plus two pilots and a flight attendant.
"We consider it to be a serious incident anytime a plane lands on a runway that's occupied that's simply not supposed to happen ... "

Airport administrators say all runway, taxiway, and runway guidance lights were on and functioning during the near mishap.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=6359834

This was a transcription from a video report. The reporter was standing near a tree when she said that. I should have proof read the article before posting. My mistake.

I dont think she says it the video either. I know how far from here to there is but I just can't comprehend from here to here.:laff:

Joking aside, glad it all worked out ok and there was no collision.

Forgive my ignorance, but why didn't the Skywest plane go around when seeing that a plane still occupied the runway? If skies were clear and visibility was good, I can't imagine how you could not see an obstruction on the pavement you're about to land on.

At night it is very difficult to see another aircraft on the runway until you get close enough to determine what those particular lights (out of the sea of lights on an airport) are.

At night it is very difficult to see another aircraft on the runway until you get close enough to determine what those particular lights (out of the sea of lights on an airport) are.

Thanks for that. I hadn't considered how cluttered it must look when the airport is all lit up.

Thanks for that. I hadn't considered how cluttered it must look when the airport is all lit up.

I fly in and out of Fresno a lot for Skywest and it is tough to see a small plane on the runway. Especially since there is construction on 29L which is currently closed. But yes, a go-around is always the best option if you know the runway is occupied.

Back