Had my first student today!

c172captain

And let me say, it was the easiest, most satisfying $80 I have ever made in 2 hours. Comparing that to when I left to go to my real job immediately after the lesson, washing dishes, and made a meager $60 in 5 hours of work that is 4x as hard, I've gotta say that I really can't wait to get a full list of students. This is not to put down dishwashing (been doing it for 2 years to pay for flying), but being a CFI is 1000x better in comparison.

I think that the coolest thing was that the student actually had more hours than me, but hadn't flown in a 360 days and wanted to get IFR recurrent on the SIM before she needed an IPC at the one year mark. It's kind of scary how fast your knowledge can deteriorate in less than a year if you don't use it. (I actually had to look at her previous instructors' entries to make sure that I logged it right lol, I'm pathetic). Umm, dumb question that I should probably look up, but... can I log the simulated instrument time that I teach to a student in the SIM? If it is of any worth, I am an IGI as well as CFII.

Thanks,
172captain

Umm, dumb question that I should probably look up, but... can I log the simulated instrument time that I teach to a student in the SIM? If it is of any worth, I am an IGI as well as CFII.

Student: yes (obviously, thats the point)

You: No, you can log dual given only.

Congrats on your first student and its awesome that you enjoy it! I can't wait to get at the point you are now. Keep it up!

As for the logging simulated instrument in the sim, I don't really know but all the instructors I've had so far never logged it. All that was ever logged was ground trainer time and approaches.

K.I.S.S.

Treat Everyone Different

Treat Everyone the Same.

Best advice I can give you as an instructor if any of that makes sense.

No simulated instrument to the instructor on the sim. Only dual given.

No simulated instrument to the student on the sim. Only Flight training device and dual recieved.

No simulated instrument to the instructor on the sim. Only dual given.

No simulated instrument to the student on the sim. Only Flight training device and dual recieved.

I disagree....though if you do a search on this forum, you will find a few valid points as to why simulated instrument in a FTD should be logged separately from simulated instrument conditions in flight.

61.51 - Pilot logbooks.
(a) Training time and aeronautical experience. Each person must document and record the following time in a manner acceptable to the Administrator:......

(3) Conditions of flight --
(i) Day or night.
(ii) Actual instrument.
(iii) Simulated instrument conditions in flight, a flight simulator, or a flight training device.....

In the grand scheme of things you can log what you want but without looking it up exactly the rough definition of actual and simulated instrument conditions is flying the aircraft by sole reference to the instruments.

I tend to not have my students log Simulated Instrument for a couple of reasons.
1. You can only do up to two approaches (1 precision and 1 non precision) for an Instrument checkride on an FTD. They still make you get in the airplane.

2. You are only allowed up to so many hours of FTD time to count towards your simulated time. Depending if it is a 142 program, an FTD or a PCATD the times all differ. Even under a 142 program I think... Don't quote me but I think that you still have to do like 5 or 10 hours in an airplane to get your instrument but where I work is probably a good year or more away from setting anything like that up. So I am not all that familiar with it.

Even in my own personal logbook I haven't logged the simulated instrument time when I was on our FTD doing my Instrument rating/CFII.

That was a good call bringing up 61.51 but more intriging (sp?) than the section you highlighted is under the Logging of instrument flight time, the very last sentence. It says a flight simulator or training device may be used by a person to log instrument time, provided there is an authorized instructor present.

Almost makes me wanna call the FSDO in the morning and get clarification. Alomost...

Back