Anybody taken the Dvorine test?

motoboy

Last summer I failed the Isahara plate test, and got the dreaded night flying restrictions put on my 3rd class medical. Im in the process of trying to get it cleared up, so I gave Aopa medical services a call. The lady made it sound like the Farnsworth is on the way out, and to try and find someone who uses the Dvorine test. Anybody have any luck with with this test, how is it compared to the Isahara? I'm located in Northeastern Ohio if anybody can point me in the right direction.
-Thanks

I passed the Dvorine test, even though I initially failed the Ishahara test. As a result of passing the alternate test, I have a letter of proficiency, which I show the AME. As valuable as this is, I've heard talk of these letters becoming invalid in the future. Who knows. I'll just keep handing the letter to my AME until I run into a problem.

As far as where to take the test, I suggest you submit a request for information to http://www.aviationmedicine.com. That's what I did. The tests are not as common as you might think. I myself had to go out of state for the test.

I took the Titmus 2 Vision test and passed. Don't take the light gun signal until it is your last resort. The letters of evidence are no longer being issued as of July 24th. Any questions on this colorblind issue you can pm me.

Darren

I'm not Doc Forred but i am well informed on this issue along with the others like srleslie on this board. I can tell you this right now..the LOE are no longer being given out as of July 24, 2008 per others on this board who have specifically talked to the FAA CAMI and the regional flight surgeon. This sucks and we all hope for a better resolution.

Yeah, and lets just hope (despite the Doc saying they havn't done this in the past) they don't rescind those letters to the many of us that thought this was finally behind us! I can't pass that dang Ishihara, but I would be quite interested in trying the Dvorine. That's the test they allow for ATC applicants, the 'official' test that is.

I guess I'm still a little confused on what will be accepted, seems that alot of things are up in the air right now? this blows

They are the only company that sells the Dvorine plate test. We use the test in our office and find some people can pass it when they can't pass others.

I took the Titmus 2 Vision test and passed. Don't take the light gun signal until it is your last resort. The letters of evidence are no longer being issued as of July 24th. Any questions on this colorblind issue you can pm me.

Darren

Old thread with some new information. Darren is right about not taking the light gun signal test until it is the last resort. You'll be taking an exam using an uncalibrated instrument, shone through a filter (window and / or tint) of wildly varying and unregulated design, given by a medically untrained examiner.
If you "fail" the unregulated and unscientific "test" you will never have the chance to take any of the various other tests that will suffice if you cannot read Dr. Ishihara's plate book of torturous dots.

The Dvorine is also a plate book, but with some differences. Some of the plates have different color backgrounds surrounding each of the 2 numbers. It is generally considered much easier to pass than the Ishihara book, but maybe not as easy as the Farnsworth lantern test. That is a sweeping generality because there are so many different types and classifications of color deficiency.

The link above no longer works. After Pearson Education Publishing finished several mergers they quit printing the plates because they were unable to accurately reproduce the colors desired.
So Pearson went back to doing what they do best. Gouge students for exorbitantly priced online study materials which vanish after six months and make believe "new editions" of hard copy textbooks with the same exact text, but one or two extra pages of publishing fluff inserted after the flyleaf.

So it is impossible to order a new Dvorine book of plates. And nearly as impossible to find them used. Last edition was published in 1963 or 1964 perhaps?

Your best bet is to go to an AME who has spent the time and effort to collect as many of the allowable tests that they can find out there.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...am/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item52/et/

I would highly recommend Dr. Ray Steinhauser at OhioAME dot com. He has invested the time and expense in collecting numerous color vision tests acceptable to the FAA. Which means he understands intimately the tests available and requirements to get a successful color vision screening if that is possible for your condition. He has specific information on color vision testing on his website.

Back