nervous 1st timer

SharkFisher

Dear Dr. Forred,
This is going to be my first time going in for an FAA medical. I am going to be taking a class 1 exam (for my PPL). I have a couple of questions. First off I wear contact lenses and my eyesight is 20/20 with them. I also have backup glasses, but only wear them for a couple of hours at night. Do I have to take them for the exam? In addition, the person on the phone mentioned that since this is my first time I should go to faa.gov and fill out a form. Is it the FAA Form 8500-8?
I guess the main reason I am posting here is because I am extremely nervous after reading the description for a 1st class medical on the website flightphysical.com. I am 23, an avid runner, swimmer, lift weights, bike, not at all sedentary. I don't have a medical history of any kind and my eyesight is absolutely normal. But I am so nervous because this is my first time and the criteria seems very thorough. Any tips and any other information you could provide is very much appreciated. The big day is in 2 weeks. I hope I do well.

Dear Dr. Forred,
This is going to be my first time going in for an FAA medical. I am going to be taking a class 1 exam (for my PPL). I have a couple of questions. First off I wear contact lenses and my eyesight is 20/20 with them. I also have backup glasses, but only wear them for a couple of hours at night. Do I have to take them for the exam? In addition, the person on the phone mentioned that since this is my first time I should go to faa.gov and fill out a form. Is it the FAA Form 8500-8?
I guess the main reason I am posting here is because I am extremely nervous after reading the description for a 1st class medical on the website flightphysical.com. I am 23, an avid runner, swimmer, lift weights, bike, not at all sedentary. I don't have a medical history of any kind and my eyesight is absolutely normal. But I am so nervous because this is my first time and the criteria seems very thorough. Any tips and any other information you could provide is very much appreciated. The big day is in 2 weeks. I hope I do well.
Relax...you sound like you are in good shape. Do bring your glasses as they will need to see what your eyesight is without glasses...I'm assuming this is a throwback, since they used to require 20/200 without glasses for a Class 1, but have dropped that requirement.

As long as you are not diabetic, have decent blood pressure, correctable to 20/20 vision, and can hear, you are golden.

My medicals (granted, I go to the same doc all the time) consist of the old eye exam (stand 20' away and read the letters you just walked by), did you hear my introduction (Hi, how's it going? Good you passed the hearing exam), and BP, etc.

Relax and don't elevate your BP when it shouldn't be high. Have fun.

Just wear your contacts. The FAA Form 8500-8 is on-line and makes it easier for you and the AME. Relax, it will be no big deal. I don't know why everyone gets nervous, most AME's are out to help you.

Sharkfisher,

To really put your mind at ease, go to the airport and look at some of the old fat slobs walking around wearing four stripes.

All of them passed!

Back