What happens when approach hands you off to someone else

Kalikiano

When talking with approach we are handed of to another approach controller when we have flown into his or her section of the airspace.

My flight instructor is working to schedule a field trip up to the tower so we can see first hand but Im just curious for now.

I didnt know if it was just a scrap piece of paper handed off to the next person or if its all done through computers.

I am flying out of Daytona International (KDAB) incase different level towers have different procedures.

most handoffs are automated. the airplane will be "flashed" to the receiving controller, and he will usually click on the aircraft, accepting the handoff. the other controller sees that the handoff is no longer flashing and he issues the aircraft a frequency change. bammo, plane is handed off.

Ya know, I had a smart aleck response already to go based on the thread title, then saw where you are a student pilot. I like that you are curious and willing to go find supplemental info rather than just waiting for your instructor to spoon it to you. Good luck with your training and have fun with it.

BTW, the last time I was in a tower, they were using strips, but that was a loooong time ago.

Ya know, I had a smart aleck response already to go based on the thread title, then saw where you are a student pilot. I like that you are curious and willing to go find supplemental info rather than just waiting for your instructor to spoon it to you. Good luck with your training and have fun with it.

BTW, the last time I was in a tower, they were using strips, but that was a loooong time ago.

tower usually issues a "rolling call" to departure when a plane is starting to take-off. i think in most facilities if the aircraft is switched within a certain distance from the end of the runway, there is no need for a "manual" handoff. manual handoffs require certain phraseology between the two facilities/sectors. "handoff, 3 miles south of DTW VORTAC, November 345E at 5 thousand"

Back