Cirrus Perspective

SY737

Flew in a new Cirrus SR22 GTS with the new Perspective By Garmin. Only 6 hours on the thing before I flew it. Please excuse the somewhat poor quality of the pictures, some settings were messed up.

Nice. What I don't like is how they took all of the knobs off the G1000. Maybe I'm just used to having them there...but I'm not a big fan. Better than the Avidyne at least

Have you flown the Avidyne?

Have you flown the Perspective (or straight G1000)? Much better than the Avidyne.

Why such a low TAS? I flew a Turbo SR22 GTS yesterday and it was only good for 175ktas at 6500. Normally aspirated Mooney Ovation is good for 180-185 at that altitude and at a lower fuel flow.

Nice pics. Can you get HBO in there while you're on a VFR XC? Anyword on the MTBF for that?

Wish we had any of display on the 747

Have you flown the Perspective (or straight G1000)? Much better than the Avidyne.

Why such a low TAS? I flew a Turbo SR22 GTS yesterday and it was only good for 175ktas at 6500. Normally aspirated Mooney Ovation is good for 180-185 at that altitude and at a lower fuel flow.

It wasn't a Turbo.

Nice pics. Can you get HBO in there while you're on a VFR XC? Anyword on the MTBF for that?

Wish we had any of display on the 747

Ha. No HBO, but it's fun to do cross countries on Saturdays in the fall. You can get the college games piped into the head sets on XM radio.

The Garmin looks good by the way. I had not seen it yet.

There's been some discussion of that on the cirrus pilots website. If memory serves, the general consensus puts it down to the prop. I guess those huge flat blades aren't quite as efficient down low.

Start getting above 7,000 and the thing sorta comes alive, or so I'm told. I only ever fly them on short maintenance and repositioning flights so I haven't seen it first hand.

And the Cirrus, while a pretty clean airframe, is probably still a touch draggier than a Mooney.

Right, I wasn't saying that he was right or wrong. I know him from another aviation forum and have seen him say something along the lines of "...those fly much better than those stupid airbusses" So I was just wondering if this time he actually had some experience in what he was talking about.

As for the Perspective, that looks incredible and I'd love to check it out sometime. I've flown the Avdyne SR-20 before and liked it, but the G1000 seems to be able to do a lot more, but requires a bit more "book learnin".

I fly a normally aspirated G3. I seem to be able to turn out the best TAS at 7,000. A turbo is going to shine up where you have to suck O2. It looks like the OP was running Lean-Of-Peak (LOP) power settings (2570 RPM, 23.8" MP, 14.8 GPH). At a 60*C ROP, I can turn out about 170-175 on 18.5ish GPH. The tuned injectors on the Cirrus' TCM engine really run smooth at LOP settings, but the only time I do so is when I'm stretching fuel with a destination that is IMC.

Back