Question for license?

Dmitri Ivanov

I was at work today and somebody say that in America if you are caught flying without license they cannot put you in jail! Is this true?

If is true why do you need license? They can not do anything no?

I am sorry because I am not understanding customs fully in America. I apologize if this is not appropriate!

I do not know if that is true.

However, to fly a plane you'd have to get a plane. If you have the means to buy your own plane and toodle around the sky, try not to kill yourself.

But if you go stealing a plane to go joyriding without a certificate, you're going to get arrested for theft! And no one is going to rent you a plane without a license......

I was at work today and somebody say that in America if you are caught flying without license they cannot put you in jail! Is this true?

In the US, federal air regulations are administrative law, not under criminal law. Therefore flying a plane without a liscense will not automaticly get you thrown in jail. The FAA has no power to arrest anyone.

However, the local district attorney may be able to make some local or state charge fit, like reckless operation of a motor vehicle or something. When two airline pilots tried to fly drunkout of MIA, the local DA charged them with DUI. Since the florida law does not specify what type of motor vehicle, he tried to make it stick. I can't recall if it got overturned or not.

In extreamly rare circumstances of extreame negliance resulting in a fatal crash, some people have been charged with manuslaughter (I read of one conviction). The maintence supervisors who cut corners storing O2 generators that caused the ValuJet crash were charged with manslaughter.

Customs and TSA regulations, DO fall under criminal law and you CAN be arrested by these federal officers or local law enforcement.

Regardless of all this, rember the golden rule of dealing with Police in America. They have a gun, and if they take you into custody, and you resist you are going to face a new set of charges or worse.

I cant imagine there is an FBO out there that would grant a request to rent a plane without proper certifications.

In the US, federal air regulations are administrative law, not under criminal law. Therefore flying a plane without a liscense will not automaticly get you thrown in jail. The FAA has no power to arrest anyone.

However, the local district attorney may be able to make some local or state charge fit, like reckless operation of a motor vehicle or something. When two airline pilots tried to fly drunkout of MIA, the local DA charged them with DUI. Since the florida law does not specify what type of motor vehicle, he tried to make it stick. I can't recall if it got overturned or not.

In extreamly rare circumstances of extreame negliance resulting in a fatal crash, some people have been charged with manuslaughter (I read of one conviction). The maintence supervisors who cut corners storing O2 generators that caused the ValuJet crash were charged with manslaughter.

Customs and TSA regulations, DO fall under criminal law and you CAN be arrested by these federal officers or local law enforcement.

Regardless of all this, rember the golden rule of dealing with Police in America. They have a gun, and if they take you into custody, and you resist you are going to face a new set of charges or worse.

Thank you very much for information response!

So if Arizona does not have law about it, I could fly without license?

Dmitri, this is not Russia, we don't throw people in jail for just anything.

Yes I am learning to understand this! Is very strange. Flying an aeroplane or airplane without a license is dangerous and you should be in jail for this!

If I have money (I do) to buy aeroplane or airplane and fly without license and there is nothing government can do! This is foolish!

Yeah, next time you get ramp checked tell them you don't have a license for them to take away. Can you get arrested for commercial operations with out license? ...this is bringing up many things I never thought about.

As a non US citizen in a post 9/11 world I don't think you would get to far flying without a license without the feds taking notice. No offense my Russian friend but thats just the way things are these days. If you're serious about flying then I would suggest following the rules to achieve it. :)

Yes I am learning to understand this! Is very strange. Flying an aeroplane or airplane without a license is dangerous and you should be in jail for this!

If I have money (I do) to buy aeroplane or airplane and fly without license and there is nothing government can do! This is foolish!

Of course you can do anything you like in this country without a license its just a matter of rather or not you get caught... Isn't this true of any country. If you get caught without a license flying a plane in the US I would imagine something would come of it, perhaps a fine.

aeroplane=airplane....it's the same thing.

wikipedia.com, thesaurus.com and dictionary.com are good websites to know and use!

I've know people that own and fly airplanes that have never had a license.

I think everyone does. When I used to work at an FBO, there was a guy that had a license, but let it slip one time that he hadn't had a flight review in 20 years.

The FAA can't do anything. Other entities MAY be able to. As stated, a non-US citizen could be charged with a major crime if they were caught doing this.

Well, if anyone is interested, this is the law in Texas. Yes, you could be thrown in jail up to 6 months for flying without a license.

§ 24.003. OPERATION OF AIRCRAFT WITHOUT AIRMAN
CERTIFICATE; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the
person:
(1) navigates an aircraft in this state without an
airman certificate; or
(2) serves as an airman in connection with an aircraft
flown or operated in this state without an airman certificate.
(b) An offense under Subsection (a) is a misdemeanor
punishable by:
(1) a fine of not less than $100 and not more than
$500;
(2) confinement in county jail for not less than 30
days and not more than six months; or
(3) both the fine and the confinement.
(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that
the person could be prosecuted under the laws or regulations of the
United States for the alleged violation.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

§ 24.004. INSPECTION OF AIRMAN CERTIFICATE. A person
holding an airman certificate shall keep the certificate in the
person's possession when the person is operating an aircraft within
this state or serving in connection with an aircraft flown or
operated in this state. The person shall present the certificate
for inspection on the demand of:
(1) a passenger;
(2) a peace officer of this state; or
(3) an official, manager, or person in charge of an
airport or landing field in this state on which the person lands an
aircraft or performs a service.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Back