Recent non-PEPC interview experience

88MPH

Addicted voyeur
I went in to the TUS station, and got asked one, repeat, ONE question for my interview! And it was even folded in to our casual conversation.

I got there 15 min early, and got taken to the IFR room. There were of course 5-6 guys working scopes, and then there were 2 standing around, and one putting a golf ball around. The manager came out and shot the bull with everyone. After about 10 minutes of showing me the scope/airspace/etc, I was walked around to meet a few other people, casually chatting the whole time. We got to his office, and he asked me (after discussing the current pay situation) why I want to be a controller. As we sat on the couch for the "interview," I gave him a simple answer, and then it was on to sharing our stories about being in the military, and our candid views on various topics. We chatted for about 45 minutes, during which he told me he'd be sending the info to district or somewhere, and I would do my med/psych/print stuff in about 3-4 weeks.

He was a great guy, VERY relaxed, informed me a few things about the FAA, and the washout/upgrade/location chances in various locations.

For those that stress over interviews, I hope this, along with others' experiences, help to gain a bit of perspective, or at least relaxation.

:)

EDIT: Also, since the HOT thread is pretty FUBAR, I'll post here. The mgr informed me that the reason that the FAA is slowing/delaying classes, is that they have a number of contractors bidding for the outsourcing of training. It's likely to stay in OKC, due to the expensive facilities/equipment, but according to him, it's now between 4 main companies, some of which are partnets. Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, one team including Robinson Aviation, and a few others I didn't recognize/remember.

(bolded for topic emphasis)

Oh snap... do you care to share more about these candid views (e.g., pay, washout, facility transfers)? Interesting news about the prospect of outsourcing training considering one of the contenders is my present employer :drool:

Oh snap... do you care to share more about these candid views (e.g., pay, washout, facility transfers)?

Frankly, no. Discussion on all ATC matters was basic, nothing this forum hasn't covered in more depth. As far as the candid views, they were mainly concerning our experiences in the service, with our views and sentiments aligning quite parallel, and since my views tend to ruffle alot of feathers, I'll keep them to myself.

Interesting news about the prospect of outsourcing training considering one of the contenders is my present employer :drool:

I asked more about the new ATC training, but that's all the guy knew about the outsourcing. I haven't tried googling it, but I'm guessing there's not much publicized (sp) yet. Anyone else heard about this?

Right now the training is being done by the University of Oklahoma, so I am not surprised that it is being outsourced since it is already...

I went in to the TUS station, and got asked one, repeat, ONE question for my interview! And it was even folded in to our casual conversation.

I got there 15 min early, and got taken to the IFR room. There were of course 5-6 guys working scopes, and then there were 2 standing around, and one putting a golf ball around. The manager came out and shot the bull with everyone. After about 10 minutes of showing me the scope/airspace/etc, I was walked around to meet a few other people, casually chatting the whole time. We got to his office, and he asked me (after discussing the current pay situation) why I want to be a controller. As we sat on the couch for the "interview," I gave him a simple answer, and then it was on to sharing our stories about being in the military, and our candid views on various topics. We chatted for about 45 minutes, during which he told me he'd be sending the info to district or somewhere, and I would do my med/psych/print stuff in about 3-4 weeks.

He was a great guy, VERY relaxed, informed me a few things about the FAA, and the washout/upgrade/location chances in various locations.

For those that stress over interviews, I hope this, along with others' experiences, help to gain a bit of perspective, or at least relaxation.

My interview also went this way, it was nice.

Kyle

No fair- mine was an arse-load of questions for an hour!

Though it was fairly laid back. But still! If I didn't get it because I was struggling to come to four different answers about a time when I failed, and you got in for answering one question- that would suck.

Oh well, the guy said I passed. But I have not gotten my TOL yet.... I had heard those would be around a week after the interview. It has now been almost 2 weeks.

Though it was fairly laid back. But still! If I didn't get it because I was struggling to come to four different answers about a time when I failed, and you got in for answering one question- that would suck.

Oh well, the guy said I passed. But I have not gotten my TOL yet.... I had heard those would be around a week after the interview. It has now been almost 2 weeks.

Hang in there Andy, We're all routing for ya!!!! Congrats to you other brave non PEPCers!!!!:nana2:

EDIT: Also, since the HOT thread is pretty FUBAR, I'll post here. The mgr informed me that the reason that the FAA is slowing/delaying classes, is that they have a number of contractors bidding for the outsourcing of training. It's likely to stay in OKC, due to the expensive facilities/equipment, but according to him, it's now between 4 main companies, some of which are partnets. Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, one team including Robinson Aviation, and a few others I didn't recognize/remember.

Posting Date: 07/03/08
Closing Date: 10/03/08

POSITION: INSTRUCTOR II (En-Route position and Terminal position available)

COMPANY: The Washington Consulting Group, Inc. is a nationwide leader in the technical consulting industry. Our Aviation Group division specializes in providing all aspects of on-site air traffic control training programs.

DESCRIPTION: The Washington Consulting Group Inc. is searching for a reliable individual to provide Air Traffic Control instruction services. Personnel qualifications for this job include a minimum of five (5) years recent experience working as a Certified Professional Controller in air traffic control facility (e.g. Air Route Traffic Control Center, Airport Traffic Control Tower or Terminal Radar Approach Control) within the ATC option for which application is made. Terminal experience must have been at a like-type facility. This Instructor position reports directly to the Contractor Site Supervisor.

COMPANY: The Washington Consulting Group, Inc. is a nationwide leader in the technical consulting industry. Our Aviation Group division specializes in providing all aspects of on-site air traffic control training programs.

DESCRIPTION: The Washington Consulting Group Inc. is searching for a reliable individual to provide Air Traffic Control instruction services. Personnel qualifications for this job include a minimum of five (5) years recent experience working as a Certified Professional Controller in air traffic control facility (e.g. Air Route Traffic Control Center, Airport Traffic Control Tower or Terminal Radar Approach Control) within the ATC option for which application is made. Terminal experience must have been at a like-type facility. This Instructor position reports directly to the Contractor Site Supervisor.

That posting is for contracted trainers at a facility not a schoolhouse position. The on-site contracting has been going on for awhile now. I think what he was talking about was contracting out the school house.

WCG handles just about every facility's training department. I would know... I work for them. I don't think that has anything to do with OKC.

That posting is for contracted trainers at a facility not a schoolhouse position. The on-site contracting has been going on for awhile now. I think what he was talking about was contracting out the school house.

WCG handles just about every facility's training department. I would know... I work for them. I don't think that has anything to do with OKC.

Oops!:banghead:
Thanks for clearing that up for me.:D

TOL's haven't gone out yet because the individual who does them for us is out of the office. He'll be back on Monday.

I was told 3-4 weeks for my TOL, so hang in there.

:)

Lets all hope that it is not Lockheed-Martin. Have had experience with them and it hasn't been pleasant. Theres not much worse than being evaluated by a bunch of people who have no background/experience in what they are evaluating!!:banghead:

Back