Duration of Medical Certificates

It is official. Read below. If you are less than 40 the date you Class 1 medical is performed, it is now valid for 12 months. If you are less than 40 when your Class 3 medical is performed, it is now valid for 60 months.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...p_process/general/validity/index.cfm?print=go

Ok, so I have an expired 3rd class medical/student pilot certificate that was issued on Sept-2004. I'm 39 years old right now, I will turn 40 on 2009. Does this means that my third class/student pilot is valid until the end of Sept-2009, or because it is not only a 3rd class medical but also a student pilot certificate the new rule doesn't apply to me?

It is dependent on your age the day of your exam. So your 3rd class is valid again, but your student certificate expired (different time limits).

Ok, so I have an expired 3rd class medical/student pilot certificate that was issued on Sept-2004. I'm 39 years old right now, I will turn 40 on 2009. Does this means that my third class/student pilot is valid until the end of Sept-2009, or because it is not only a 3rd class medical but also a student pilot certificate the new rule doesn't apply to me?

The student pilot certificate and medical are two separate forms even though they're on the same piece of paper. The medical is good until Sept 09 but the student pilot certificate is only good until Sept. 06. You can get a new student pilot certificate by filling out an FAA form 8710-1 and taking it to a DE or a FSDO.

The duration of the medical certificate is based on your age at the date of issuance. If you got a Class 3 medical 4 years ago, you were less than 40 years old the date of issuance, then it is valid until the last day of the month in which it was issued 60 months later.:)

So, this is retro-active, meaning that if I'm well under 40 and I got a third class back in 2006, its now good till 2011?

So, whats the difference between a first and a second class certificate, if they both expire at the end of the 12th month? Are they trying to get rid of the second class?

I wonder why second class didn't change. Basically at 40 or less we are the same, should make the second good for 24 months..... :)

So, whats the difference between a first and a second class certificate, if they both expire at the end of the 12th month? Are they trying to get rid of the second class?

That may happen some day (one world order and all that:laff:. In Europe, they don't have a second class medical.

Just to confirm again. This ruling is retro-active and my First Class Medical that I obtained Feb 08 is valid until the end of Feb 09?

On another note. I am turning the magic 35 this year and will obviosly have to get the EKG next Feb. What exactly is the doctor looking for?

Thanks

You are correct, it is valid until 2009. The ECG looks for rhythm and conduction abnormalities. The age 35 is really a basline for the ones after 40 - this prevents long evaluations for something you may have had forever.

Back