Navy Enlisted Needing a JOB

kirkusn

Hello so i was just trying to see what is out there for me and what path i should take. I currently am in the Navy i get out in oct. I have been working on F18 powerplants for the past 3 and 1/2 years. I also have my ppl and instrument rating with about 220 hrs and i dont know what i should do when i get out i need to get a decent job, maby even somewhere where they will help me out getting cfi? i am in california but am willing to relocate. Any advice would be appricated

Thanks

What's up, Sailor.

The powerplants experience is worthless without the A&P, and the PPL/Instrument tickets are worthless without the Commercial cert.

You have the G.I. Bill?

I was an AT1 that got forced out of the Navy in July of '06 after 16 years due to the new body fat standards. I was in VX-9 in China Lake and received no help from the Command. I was a Private Pilot at the time. My Dad was also very sick and passed away the next month so I basically had no chocei but to move back home to OH from California.

I went through three avionics jobs between September '06 to July of '07. I decided after the third one to get my IR, both Comm's and CFI so I went to Career Pilot School in Kansas City. Well, I never made it to the beginning of CFI training when I had been there 3.5 months so I quit the school and they took at least $5000 from me as a penalty. I wanted out of there and they wanted me to come back 4 months later. All this time I had been living on education loans, unemployment and what I got from the VA which is actually pretty good and nearly what I would have gotten for 20 years retirement. All I had for my trouble's were IR, CSEL and CMEL, no CFI, CFII and MEI like I was supposed to have.

I moved back to OH and concentrated on my CFI from November '07 on to April 7th, 2008 when I finally got the check ride done after many attempts and weather cancellations.

It took me 2 weeks to get a CFI job at a local field and got my first student in mid-May who is nearly done. I have gone through 3 other which have quit on me for reasons to which I do not know. Never returned any of my calls. I suspect the economy.

Here it is nearly August and I have been working a part-time motorcycle detailing job to supplement my income since May 24th. I am now nearly bankrupt still having the debt I got out of the Navy with and even more since.

My only alternatives to bankruptcy is a better paying job(s). There are no prospects for flight instruction right now, so I may have to go somewhere else or give it up. I am too low time at 454TT to get any other type of flying job that is available at present. I am working on applying at some of the bigger flight schools around the country to become a full-time CFI finally.

Flying for a living was not my desire when I got out of the Navy right away, just something for the future.

Anyways, I am not trying to discourage you, but the aviation industry is not a good place right now for someone starting out. I advise you to think about this 50-60 more times through before you make the change. It might work out for you, might not. I am goign to make it work for me, some how.

I wish you good luck in the future. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

David

Are you interested in doing any work as an AT? Do you have I level experience or all O? Quals, QA, etc? My company is hiring some electrician if interested PM me and I'll get you the information. One of the side benefits is that you will be able to build some time with our support aircraft.

Hello so i was just trying to see what is out there for me and what path i should take. I currently am in the Navy i get out in oct. I have been working on F18 powerplants for the past 3 and 1/2 years. I also have my ppl and instrument rating with about 220 hrs and i dont know what i should do when i get out i need to get a decent job, maby even somewhere where they will help me out getting cfi? i am in california but am willing to relocate. Any advice would be appricated

Thanks

I'm not sure how it is now, but, earlier this year there were plently of CFI jobs in California. THe good ones were CFI'ing foreign students, which were salary paid with benefits. Although airlines aren't hiring anymore there still is a need for CFI's because when people start retiring from the airlines there will be hiring again as always. You will learn that the airlines and hiring is like a Sine Wave. What goes up, must come down, then back up.

Back