Expired written on a discontinued checkride

PanJet

Okay, I have a bit of an odd question. I'm working with a student who had a bit of a weird situation. He took a checkride on the last day his written was valid, but because of weather the checkride was discontinued. He was working with a different instructor at the time, but I've been asked to help him study to redo his written before he finishes the checkride. I haven't been able to determine if he actually needs to complete another written or not since he only received a discontinuance even though the written is technically expired now. Does anybody know where I could dig up this information?

I don't know the regulation or where to find it in the FARs, but I do know that your student needs to take the retest. Happened to a buddy of mine in the exact same scenario.

Day of the oral, my buddy had 5 days left of validity on his written but they had to reschedule the practical test portion for a week later due to weather. He came in to take the test and the examiner made him leave because his written wasn't current and he was no longer applicable to take the test.

Yep. that's the deal. Checkride must be completed before expiration.

I can't reference that, and I actually think it may vary from region to region. A lot of the 'gray areas' vary according to local FSDO interpretation.

he only received a discontinuance even though the written is technically expired now. Does anybody know where I could dig up this information?

From the DPE Handbook:

C. Issue Letter of Discontinuance. If the practical test is discontinued for reasons other than unsatisfactory performance by the applicant, prepare a letter of discontinuance (refer to section 1, paragraph 23).
(1) Include the date of the test and all pertinent applicant, aircraft, and practical test information. (See Figure 5-2.)
(2) Note the reason for the discontinuance and add a brief explanation.
(3) List the areas of operation of the practical test that were successfully completed.
(4) State that the letter of discontinuance does not extend the expiration date of the knowledge test report.
(5) State that the applicant may use the letter of discontinuance to show portions of the test that have been completed satisfactorily if application is made within 60 days from the date of the letter.
(6) State the date after which the entire practical test must be repeated.
(7) Return the application and all submitted documents to the applicant with the original copy of the letter of discontinuance.
(8) Retain one copy of the letter.

Back