Map or chart of facility boundries

clestudentpilot

I'm not exactly sure if this is the right area to put this in, but is there any way to get a map or chart that marks different facilities radar coverage, just so I have a better idea of who covers where, specifically in NE Ohio. Having CLE, CAK, YNG, MFD, CMH, Cleveland Center, and Indy Center all having radar jurisdiction in different parts, I'm just curious where I can find the boundries for each facility. This would just save some time for myself and controllers when I'm getting flight following, so I don't contact one facility just to have them tell me to contact another. Obviously I know I can look at specific airports to know who handles approach to that airport, but I'm more curious once airborne, thats why I'm hoping there is a chart or map of it.

I'm not exactly sure if this is the right area to put this in, but is there any way to get a map or chart that marks different facilities radar coverage, just so I have a better idea of who covers where, specifically in NE Ohio. Having CLE, CAK, YNG, MFD, CMH, Cleveland Center, and Indy Center all having radar jurisdiction in different parts, I'm just curious where I can find the boundries for each facility. This would just save some time for myself and controllers when I'm getting flight following, so I don't contact one facility just to have them tell me to contact another. Obviously I know I can look at specific airports to know who handles approach to that airport, but I'm more curious once airborne, thats why I'm hoping there is a chart or map of it.

You would need controller charts or SOP's for those areas which are only available inside ATC facilities.

This would just save some time for myself and controllers when I'm getting flight following, so I don't contact one facility just to have them tell me to contact another.

The IFR enroute charts show show the center boundaries and the frequencies to be used in various areas.

I wouldn't contact an approach control first unless I were within 20 nm of a Class C or 40 nm of a B.

The IFR enroute charts show show the center boundaries and the frequencies to be used in various areas.

I wouldn't contact an approach control first unless I were within 20 nm of a Class C or 40 nm of a B.

I'd call the nearest airport with radar if one is nearby and then have them tell me to call center if I'm too far out. You can probably make a request to a Class C further out than that, usually their airspace extends 35-40 miles out from the airport as I discovered recently. You'd probably extend that 55-60 miles out, depending on altitude, for a Class B airport. I know I've talked to Atlanta approach for quite a while on flight following before.

There is no specific "right" or "wrong" here. They'll just give you another frequency to call if you need to be on another one. Its not that big of a deal.

You'd probably extend that 55-60 miles out, depending on altitude, for a Class B airport.

Memphis is only 40 nm; stands to reason that ATL is bigger. Memphis was only 30 nm 10 years ago or so, so obviously it varies.

Just so we're on the same page, are you referring to the charted airspace boundaries on a sectional or en-route chart, or the uncharted sector boundaries?

I fly in NE Ohio. Just call the nearest approach control. CLE center really doesn't take jurisdiction in NE Ohio unless you fly at altitudes over 8000Ft. But even then, you have to climb to get there first :p

If you have an questions on ATC boundaries out here just PM me. Been flying these parts for over 4 years now and can give relatively accurate boundaries. It is really interesting in NE Ohio as you will never be given to a Center unless you fly south,fly into Indiana, or fly high enough. An example is that KCAK will only give you guidance up to 8000ft MSL otherwise you are talking to Cle Center.

The easiest way to get flight following is to look in the AFD for your departure airport and call that frequency up right after you depart the traffic pattern or airspace of the airport. If ATC drops radar and has you squawk VFR just ask the controller the next best frequency to obtain flight following with.

Back