How many of you....

Airdale

Will anybody getting furloughed seek employment elsewhere in aviation?

I may try to get a part time CFI gig to keep hours current, but other than that, I won't be looking for employment in the Airlines. May try to network some Corporate gig.

I think for the most part I'm going to try and find something paying decent in another industry. Problem is, the economy is so bad, what other industry is doing well? Marine service technicians, similiar to what I did in the Coast Guard, is in trouble too.

I've got a lawncare business I run on the side which would get me through summer, but after that I'm screwed. This blows...

Yes, aviation related but maybe not airline related. Took me several years after the Navy to get to the point that I would have a private business related income to pursue commercial flying. Just getting into it, and really tiring of it already.

If I get furloughed in the second round, it may not be a bad thing. If I didnt hate to quit, I would be at that point now.

Good luck 2 all

but after that I'm screwed. This blows...

No offense, but is replacing first year regional pay really that tough? I would recommend going down to one of the FBO's at the local airport and seeing if you can't get some kind of managment job or just flight instructing. Those are the two easiest ways to break into the corporate aviation world. I still get job offers from the contacts I made flight instructing and working at the FBO. Flight Safety always needs instructors, but I am not sure of the requirements. If nothing else, being a right seat fill in person at Flight Safety will keep you current and lead to a lot of contacts in corporate aviation, but the pay is very low.

Alex.

No offense, but is replacing first year regional pay really that tough? I would recommend going down to one of the FBO's at the local airport and seeing if you can't get some kind of managment job or just flight instructing. Those are the two easiest ways to break into the corporate aviation world. I still get job offers from the contacts I made flight instructing and working at the FBO. Flight Safety always needs instructors, but I am not sure of the requirements. If nothing else, being a right seat fill in person at Flight Safety will keep you current and lead to a lot of contacts in corporate aviation, but the pay is very low.

Alex.

Well, technically I'm on 2nd first year pay. I left Colgan after 1 year to start over at Republic.

Right now I just feel like walking away from this stuff and finding something decent paying and hopefully make enough money to enjoy GA flying...I don't know...:(

Pilot non-airline for me if I can. I've had a great time, but I miss corporate. Wish I had the experience to be competative there.

Not getting furloughed in this first round, but if a second round of furloughs happens that gets to me, I'm leaving aviation. I might return if I get recalled, but not even sure about that.

I'm headed back to the major flight school where I previously instructed. The pay is so much better than regional FO pay. I guess I'm over my bout with SJS.

Best of luck to all of you. As a member of the frequent furlough club:

(Ramp 66, 1995
AirTran, 1998
US Airways, 2002
PSA, 2002)

I think I know just what you're going through. I'm here if anyone needs someone to talk to about it.

The good thing about only being 23 is that I could still live with mom, party with old friends from school, and be a part timer CFI without it being too sad yet. :D Then I would continue to part-time CFI while getting a real job

Marine service technicians, similiar to what I did in the Coast Guard, is in trouble too.

That may be a function of your location. In the lakes region in NH, business is still running strong. I paid for flight training workin in boats up here. One of the guys i worked with just took a new job making 27/hr... only thing is he's a merc/Mercruiser Lvl. III tech.

Net jets may seem impossible, but they are hiring a lot. Companies such as Cirrus are always looking for Demo pilots. There are always foreign jobs as well. Could be a blast to be a misson pilot for a year or two if you've got nothing holding you back.

That may be a function of your location. In the lakes region in NH, business is still running strong. I paid for flight training workin in boats up here. One of the guys i worked with just took a new job making 27/hr... only thing is he's a merc/Mercruiser Lvl. III tech.

Net jets may seem impossible, but they are hiring a lot. Companies such as Cirrus are always looking for Demo pilots. There are always foreign jobs as well. Could be a blast to be a misson pilot for a year or two if you've got nothing holding you back.

Hehe...funny I mention the Marine field. Just got a job offer today from a Marina where I launch my boat. He said they are losing one of their technicians in September. I told him I probably wouldn't be able to start until then anyway if I did get furloughed. Could be good timing. :D

Get out of aviation until I get recalled.

I can go back to bartending and make more money than the 121 world is currently offering me and hell you can even get drunk at work, bartending that is. :) I also may just sit around for a few months and do nothing, this sounds like the best idea but who knows man. Maybe I will hike to Alaska and live in a bus like that kid did in that movie. I will bring more food though.

Hehe...funny I mention the Marine field. Just got a job offer today from a Marina where I launch my boat. He said they are losing one of their technicians in September. I told him I probably wouldn't be able to start until then anyway if I did get furloughed. Could be good timing. :D

Yown a boat? did working in the guard teach you nothing?

A boat is nothing more than a hole in the water you throw money into ;)

Yown a boat? did working in the guard teach you nothing?

A boat is nothing more than a hole in the water you throw money into ;)

I do own a boat. 3 of them to be exact. So no, they didn't teach me anything! :D

I have a 17' Aluminum john boat with a 25hp Merc, a 14' Bass boat and my homemade duck boat sneakbox built from Cedar. I've had these boats for years, so they don't cost me anything but the gas to run, the fishing license and of course the shotgun ammo during hunting season.

You can never give up the hobby's that make you smile. In fact, yesterday I caught 3 keeper fluke and a bushel of crabs in the bay. Not a bad day for the 5 gals of gas I used. :)

I should also mention the family racing adventure too. This car was passed down to me a few years ago when my Uncle retired from racing. My Aunt still sponsors the car but with limited money and time to race this thing, she sits on my uncle's farm in the garage. My Dad wants me to sell it but there is no way I'd part with this car. Someday I would love to be able to run every weekend.

Damn race fuel is 5 bucks a gallon now. I haven't driven the car in 2 years, but maybe with a furlough and a good paying job I can get it back on the track Saturday nights. Problem is we own the car, so I don't get a paycheck unless we win, otherwise I'd do this full time. Want to talk about an adrenaline rush? :D

u7664f1yfkmtjpeet6.jpg

u7664f1phyjmgtfvg5.jpg

u7664f1jpiffjmshe3.jpg

I should also mention the family racing adventure too. This car was passed down to me a few years ago when my Uncle retired from racing. My Aunt still sponsors the car but with limited money and time to race this thing, she sits on my uncle's farm in the garage. My Dad wants me to sell it but there is no way I'd part with this car. Someday I would love to be able to run every weekend.

Damn race fuel is 5 bucks a gallon now. I haven't driven the car in 2 years, but maybe with a furlough and a good paying job I can get it back on the track Saturday nights. Problem is we own the car, so I don't get a paycheck unless we win, otherwise I'd do this full time. Want to talk about an adrenaline rush? :D

Nice... LRSS (Louden) just went spec gas only for race days... 4.4 gallons of Spec costs damn near 40 bucks. Super twins (motorcycle series) aint super cheap anymore :) shame contingency money is paid year end for us part timers.

Honestly, i would never go back to hanging upside down in a bayliner, trying to get plugs outta a volvo penta with the exhaust manifold over the plugs... my days of picking fiberglass out of my skin are over. I think i would try to move to a middle level managment position at first, for experience, then take it to a job in a diffrent market.

Nice... LRSS (Louden) just went spec gas only for race days... 4.4 gallons of Spec costs damn near 40 bucks. Super twins (motorcycle series) aint super cheap anymore :) shame contingency money is paid year end for us part timers.

Honestly, i would never go back to hanging upside down in a bayliner, trying to get plugs outta a volvo penta with the exhaust manifold over the plugs... my days of picking fiberglass out of my skin are over. I think i would try to move to a middle level managment position at first, for experience, then take it to a job in a diffrent market.

Racing is fun, but for the majority that get to do it, its just a hobby. I do miss it though.

As far as working in the Marine field, gotta go where I've got the experience. Coast Guard trained.

I'll agree on the marine tech jobs. I dropped off my boat since I was tired of fiddle farting with the stupid throttle. Every shop I called has a MINIMUM 2 week lead time...so there is a need (at least around here) for marine techs.

Although I cuss the work involved in getting a stupid master's degree, I like the idea of having a good backup. The field pays well and will come in handy in a pinch if the aviation world doesn't work out.

Back