Using FTD time for requirements

PanJet

I had a question regarding FTD time. My flight school now has a full blown Frasca TruFlight with a big wrap-around projection screen that we are using. My question is, with part 61 training, what times can an FTD be used for? More specifically, can I use the instrument time that my multi-student is getting in it for the 5 hours required for his multi-commercial (we're using it set up as a Seminole while our real one is down for annual). Everyone around here is totally new to FTD stuff so we weren't sure about what all to log (total time, sim or actual instrument, dual received, PIC, etc) since we're not a 142 school.

I had a question regarding FTD time. My flight school now has a full blown Frasca TruFlight with a big wrap-around projection screen that we are using. My question is, with part 61 training, what times can an FTD be used for? More specifically, can I use the instrument time that my multi-student is getting in it for the 5 hours required for his multi-commercial (we're using it set up as a Seminole while our real one is down for annual). Everyone around here is totally new to FTD stuff so we weren't sure about what all to log (total time, sim or actual instrument, dual received, PIC, etc) since we're not a 142 school.
it is all complicated and is in the certificate for the specific simulator. Some can and some cannot. I won't pretend to understand those particular regs.

There should be a letter from the FAA posted in or around the FTD somewhere that says what it is authorized for. I would probably guess it is good for 50 hours under 61.129(i)(i), but the letter will specifically say. If you can't find the letter, ask for it. If the flight school can't produce the letter, then it may not even be FAA certified.

You can log dual received & flight sim for the student. Some folks also log instrument time and can make a valid argument to do so, but I think most do not in order to keep the "simulated instrument" column of their logbook a record of flight time. There is no definition of total time, so you can use it for whatever you'd like, but conventional wisdom says you should keep that for a record of flight time as well.

Personally, I log dual & flight sim for my students because I believe it provides the least amount of confusion. If they want to go back later and add simulated instrument & TT, then that's fine with me.

Short story regarding sim use for private pilot applicants:

I know a guy that had is private pilot certificate revoked because his instructor used an FAA approved flight sim for 2.5 hours of instrument, plus .5 in an airplane to "satisfy" the aeronautical experience of 61.109(a)(3).

61.109(a)(3) 3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments...

The CFI thought that this would be valid because of 61.109(k):

61.109(k) Permitted credit for use of a flight simulator or flight training device. (1) Except as provided in paragraphs (k)(2) of this section, a maximum of 2.5 hours of training in a flight simulator or flight training device representing the category, class, and type, if applicable, of aircraft appropriate to the rating sought, may be credited toward the flight training time required by this section, if received from an authorized instructor.

The decision to revoke his certificate came from OKC when they received his 8710. They said that 61.109(a)(3) states very clearly that the training must be recevied in a single-engine airplane as bolded above. Fortunately for him, the FAA told him that if he would go get 2.5 hours of simulated instrument in a single-engine airplane with an instructor, then they would give him his certificate back, which he did.

Now, back to the OP's original question. 61.129(b)(3)(i) says that the commercial applicant must have "10 hours of instrument training of which at least 5 hours must be in a multiengine airplane" so I would think that you could use the Frasca for the other 5 hours. But don't take my word for it. Talk to your FSDO if there is any doubt. :)

Back