? Regarding VFR Reporting Points

PilotBeckfizzle

The other night I was doing pattern work with a student and the tower controller told me to report turning base. On the first lap around the pattern we were cleared for the option mid-field down wind. I assumed that this clearance waved the need for me to report turning base. So I didn't report turning base. Needless to say the controller wasn't happy. Two questions:

a. Why did he want me reporting base? I assumed it was in the event he forgot about me and could clear me for the option at that point. Fairly common request at my airport-- first time I've been scolded for not reporting after a clearance has been received.

b. I obviously was incorrect in assuming that I didn't need to report turning base after I was cleared for the option. Why did I still need to report base? He obviously knew where I was and that there was adequate spacing.

I don't know the rule for this however I would have done the same thing as you. The controller cleared you for the option he had to know where you were. Maybe he was having a bad day. :panic:

The other night I was doing pattern work with a student and the tower controller told me to report turning base. On the first lap around the pattern we were cleared for the option mid-field down wind. I assumed that this clearance waved the need for me to report turning base. So I didn't report turning base. Needless to say the controller wasn't happy. Two questions:

a. Why did he want me reporting base? I assumed it was in the event he forgot about me and could clear me for the option at that point. Fairly common request at my airport-- first time I've been scolded for not reporting after a clearance has been received.

b. I obviously was incorrect in assuming that I didn't need to report turning base after I was cleared for the option. Why did I still need to report base? He obviously knew where I was and that there was adequate spacing.

There is frequently a lot of activity in the tower that is off frequency and the controller may become distracted and lose track of you. He asked you to report base as a reminder to himself so that he did not forget about you...clear someone in front of you...clear someone to cross the runway in front of you...release the runway to an airport vehicle...take your pick. What if you crashed while he was looking the other way and he did not remember you for 15 or 20 minutes...That could be the difference between surviving or not. The position report is a technique the controller uses to help him keep up with the traffic. It should be made regardless of the clearance already being issued.

Chris

It seems like an odd request if the controller expects to clear you on downwind. Most times we ask for a midfield report or an abeam the tower report just in case we are focusing on other traffic while you're abeam.

For me it is understood that any reporting point request that follows a clearance is no longer expected to be made; and more than likely it is NOT made once the landing clnc is issued.

I guess if it is in the same transmission: "cessna12345 report turning base, runway 22 cleared for the option." it is a bit more understood.

Or if the request for the reporting point followed the clearance: "cessna12345 runway 22, cleared for the option. Report turning base."

There's no mistake that the report shall still be made since it was in addition to the ldg clnc.

It really depends on who is working at the time. When in doubt, report!

Back