Old vs New

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm203900

Hello, I've been wondering what some of the experienced controllers have to say regarding the current staffing crisis for ATC compared to the staffing after Reagan axed thousands of controllers.

Specifically, when all of the controllers were let go in the 80's how did the FAA respond? I assume thousands of new controllers were brought on board. Obviously the NAS was able to continue working efficientlyand safely. Now that these same controllers begin the retirement process and the next generation begin to fill the ranks in staggering numbers will the NAS be able to operate with the same level of safety and professionalism that occured after Reagan?

Obviously air traffic worldwide has grown exponentially in the last 25 years, but other then that what are the fundamental differences between the controllers that were brought on in the 80's compared to the new controllers that are being produced currently?

Are the new controllers being adequately prepared by the FAA? If no, what are the differences compared to the training that veteran controller received when they first began?

Note: this thread is not meant to be antagonistic or political. I am looking for honest feedback from those with decades of experience in order to understand the differences from the past compared to current day. I believe this insight might help us new pups gain a greater understanding and respect for the career.

dose it really matter?????????????

dictionary_bitches.jpg

I may be a bit biased, but I feel that we are being trained pretty well out here at the academy...I saw 32 people in my basics class start out knowing nothing...Some people knew a bit more than others...to see where they started and where they are now, I'm confident in their ability to safely control aircraft.

Can't really comment on the last time a bunch of newer peeps came into the system, but I feel we are being trained plenty well...

oh yea tough guy i cant type well but i made $180,000 last year working traffic with no over time,how much did you make last year working traffic??????????????????????? oh thats right your a controller wanna beeee who if you make it will be working for C scale wages.i see you havent even taken the test yet, well before you call sombody a bitch you better be able to put you money were you mouth is sonny

Queeno,

Just asking but why is it the experienced controllers always throw the dollar figure out to us "wanna bees", who you should know will be watching your flights once you leave the FAA? We would love to make what you guys make under the older system and maybe that will change. But shouldn't you help us and direct us in order for us to be successful and ensure aviation safety in the United States. I find it amazing that "some", definitely NOT all, experienced controllers worry about the $$$ more than anything. What was the reasoning for you entering the profession? It had to have been something great to take on this level of responsibility and reward. Besides, if you are indeed making $180K without any overtime, what's your gripe? Is it the fact you may have to train developmentals? Increased or inconvenient working hours? I don't intend to come off in a negative manner, but to a lot of people, it DOES MATTER with what we should expect. Experience cannot be replaced which is why we hold so many of you guys in high regards, but it gets a little upsetting hearing all the negatives of the profession from people who make a pretty good financial payday from that profession. Just think, us new "wanna bees" will probably NEVER make as much as you guys did. However, we all want to become controllers in spite of this. That should make you experienced controllers proud.

Respectfully

Hello, I've been wondering what some of the experienced controllers have to say regarding the current staffing crisis for ATC compared to the staffing after Reagan axed thousands of controllers.

Specifically, when all of the controllers were let go in the 80's how did the FAA respond? I assume thousands of new controllers were brought on board. Obviously the NAS was able to continue working efficientlyand safely. Now that these same controllers begin the retirement process and the next generation begin to fill the ranks in staggering numbers will the NAS be able to operate with the same level of safety and professionalism that occured after Reagan?

Obviously air traffic worldwide has grown exponentially in the last 25 years, but other then that what are the fundamental differences between the controllers that were brought on in the 80's compared to the new controllers that are being produced currently?

Are the new controllers being adequately prepared by the FAA? If no, what are the differences compared to the training that veteran controller received when they first began?

Note: this thread is not meant to be antagonistic or political. I am looking for honest feedback from those with decades of experience in order to understand the differences from the past compared to current day. I believe this insight might help us new pups gain a greater understanding and respect for the career.

The biggest difference I see in training then vs. now is that the screening process used to be done in OKC. The failure rate there was around 60% but those that made it through had a very good chance of making it through training at their facility. These days OKC seems designed to give you a general base of ATC knowledge but the real screening takes place at your facility. At A80, we have recieved a large number of trainees without prior ATC experience and have found them not too well prepared for the job. We find ourselves providing a lot of basic training that used to be done at the academy.

As for the differences in the NAS between now and the strike period, I don't think you can really compare them. In 1981, the loss of controllers was instantaneous and to deal with that, the airlines reduced their schedules for a while and a GA reservation system was put in place to severely restrict the number of IFR flight plans in the system for around 18 months ( I am unsure about the exact time frame ). Today's controller losses, while significant, are spread out over a few years and have nowhere near the impact of the strike.

Chris

oh yea tough guy i cant type well but i made $180,000 last year working traffic with no over time,how much did you make last year working traffic??????????????????????? oh thats right your a controller wanna beeee who if you make it will be working for C scale wages.i see you havent even taken the test yet, well before you call sombody a bitch you better be able to put you money were you mouth is sonny

HAHAHAHA...you CANNOT be serious.

First off, I'm a chick. And second of all -- PROTIP: All of the money in the world doesn't make you a special snowflake, nor a more valuable citizen.

Queeno,

Just asking but why is it the experienced controllers always throw the dollar figure out to us "wanna bees", who you should know will be watching your flights once you leave the FAA? We would love to make what you guys make under the older system and maybe that will change. But shouldn't you help us and direct us in order for us to be successful and ensure aviation safety in the United States. I find it amazing that "some", definitely NOT all, experienced controllers worry about the $$$ more than anything. What was the reasoning for you entering the profession? It had to have been something great to take on this level of responsibility and reward. Besides, if you are indeed making $180K without any overtime, what's your gripe? Is it the fact you may have to train developmentals? Increased or inconvenient working hours? I don't intend to come off in a negative manner, but to a lot of people, it DOES MATTER with what we should expect. Experience cannot be replaced which is why we hold so many of you guys in high regards, but it gets a little upsetting hearing all the negatives of the profession from people who make a pretty good financial payday from that profession. Just think, us new "wanna bees" will probably NEVER make as much as you guys did. However, we all want to become controllers in spite of this. That should make you experienced controllers proud.

Respectfully

1) you want to find out what its like, than apply for the job and find out first hand what its like.just like we did.

2) i never complained about my pay, you are the ones getting screwed.

3) what dose my pay have to do with how screwed up everything is and pointing it out???????????

4) my reasons for being a controller are no ones business but mine.

5) i really dont care whos watching the aircraft( and you should be controlling them not watching them) i dont fly the airlines much.the FFA is in charge, its their mess let them clean it up.

6) why do you nubees love to point out typing errors????? big deal, iam paid to control aircraft not be a clerk typest.

7) WE are not here to motivate YOU.this isnt grammer school you are motivated to do this job or your not.Your actions will tell us if your worth the effort.

8) its not all about the money but there has to be a reward for the risk, and it you think that the pay and work rules today are worth it than your just the people the FFA is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back