AT-SAT for atc ots people

ry28

i was wondering how all the people that applied for atc ots positions and had no prior background did on the at-sat. also how much studying you did prior to taking it. i have a ppl and i am 3/4 away from finishing my instruments, will that make the test any easier along with going thru the green book and cd? fill me in, i applied to the position that closed today.

i was wondering how all the people that applied for atc ots positions and had no prior background did on the at-sat. also how much studying you did prior to taking it. i have a ppl and i am 3/4 away from finishing my instruments, will that make the test any easier along with going thru the green book and cd? fill me in, i applied to the position that closed today.

I have my PPL and my A&P... but to cut things short, I didn't find these forums until after I took the ATSAT so ABSOLUTELY no studying was done by me before the test, and i Scored a 96.4.

My best advice is to not stress out about it. The test really isn't that difficult and everyone I've talked to has finished before the allotted time. I'm an OTS applicant with very little actual aviation background. I believe those programs with the green book were somewhat beneficial; not necessarily to get better at the stuff, but more so just to give you a heads up on what to expect. If anything helped the most, I think it was all those hours of C&C. :)

aight thanks guys..hopefully i get selected to take the test. the closing date was 2day. anyone know the odds of getting selected and how long before you know if ur going to b one of the ones taking the test?..by the way whats c&c.

aight thanks guys..hopefully i get selected to take the test. the closing date was 2day. anyone know the odds of getting selected and how long before you know if ur going to b one of the ones taking the test?..by the way whats c&c.

Seems all over the board in terms of when you get selected. Took me 6 months to get the opportunity to take the AT-SAT but it seems others are getting moved through much "quicker" now.

C&C = Command & Conquer It's a real-time strategy game in which you have to pay attention to a lot of different things going on at once. Multiplayer is lots of fun. Don't care much for the new version out but Generals is great.

aight thanks man, u think i shoudl invest in the green book just to give myself an idea of what to expect or just wing it when it come around?

My best advice is to not stress out about it. The test really isn't that difficult and everyone I've talked to has finished before the allotted time. I'm an OTS applicant with very little actual aviation background. I believe those programs with the green book were somewhat beneficial; not necessarily to get better at the stuff, but more so just to give you a heads up on what to expect. If anything helped the most, I think it was all those hours of C&C. :)
In my opinion, the best benefit of the green book is that it makes you *feel* more prepared. That way you stress less and get a better night's sleep the night before.

In my opinion, the best benefit of the green book is that it makes you *feel* more prepared. That way you stress less and get a better night's sleep the night before.

Exactly, it is definitely worth purchasing. I remember on the test going into the some of the sections telling myself, "this isn't anything new, I've already practiced this." :D

aight thanks man, u think i shoudl invest in the green book just to give myself an idea of what to expect or just wing it when it come around?

I didn't think the greenbook was that beneficial, the games on the CD are similar in that they resemble the AT-SAT, but the test is self-paced timed sections kind of like the SAT (on the CD if you spend too long on a problem it skips it) For practicing ATC senarios and the scan portion I suggest www.jeremyjustice.com (go to the games section). But, like most everyone else has said, just chill, it really has nothing to do with your knowledge of ATC, my adivce during the test is to at least use a portion of every break you're given to get up, leave the room, walk around, and get a drink of water. Just my two cents.

Study for the applied math. Use the green book and this study guide that someone graciously gave us. http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-traffic-control/67879-at-sat-math-prep-download.html
You will need to know what to expect from the math part to be prepared. Just sharpen up a little on multiplication and division of larger numbers.
Other than the math, the rest you either can do it, or you can't. Its hard to study for how to put green letters in green boxes.

Your chances of getting selected to take the test are very good. Your chances of waiting a long time to find out are much better I'm afraid.

:yeahthat:
Studying the green book (& whacked CD) allows you to familiarize yourself with the questions so that you don't have an "oops" on the test. As with anything, being able to practice something before hand and work out all of the kinks (trial by error) only makes you better.

I didn't think the greenbook was that beneficial, the games on the CD are similar in that they resemble the AT-SAT, but the test is self-paced timed sections kind of like the SAT (on the CD if you spend too long on a problem it skips it) For practicing ATC senarios and the scan portion I suggest www.jeremyjustice.com (go to the games section). But, like most everyone else has said, just chill, it really has nothing to do with your knowledge of ATC, my adivce during the test is to at least use a portion of every break you're given to get up, leave the room, walk around, and get a drink of water. Just my two cents.

Exactly what Sox girl here said. The Green Book is a worthwhile "prep," but not a study guide by any means. It gives you an idea of what to expect, but the test isn't a carbon copy. As for question numero uno, I have zilch aviation "experience," and I was selected for my first app to test.

Honestly, the test is simple. I expected something much tougher... Perhaps it was the presence of "SAT" in the title that had me anticipating something aweful. It was just basic math, analogies, and the "games" that they have you do. I didn't study at all, have absolutely no experience in air traffic control, finished 3 hours early, took all of the allowed breaks, and scored 100.

Honestly, the test is simple. I expected something much tougher... Perhaps it was the presence of "SAT" in the title that had me anticipating something aweful. It was just basic math, analogies, and the "games" that they have you do. I didn't study at all, have absolutely no experience in air traffic control, finished 3 hours early, took all of the allowed breaks, and scored 100.
That, right there, is the entire point of the test. It's not meant to be studied for. The test is designed to assess who has the mental capacity* to do certain types of things, not who can study the hardest.

*or as previously discussed, who has the proper minority background...

Back