Reckless Driving anyone?

mdolezal

So, as I continue to find new ways of making things difficult on myself, I found yet another way: Reckless Driving. Here's a quick scoop, and any advice would be awesome.
I'm 27, and when I was in college, I had a few speeding tickets. I've had a clear record for 5 years now and was really proud of that. Never had an accident and no tickets for 5 years. Then I woke up today. I was taking a buddy to the airport and was a bit late, so I hit up 83 in a 45 mph work zone on interstate 65 in Indy. Yup, red and blue spotted me before I spotted him and busted me. Didn't tow my car, as he threatened to do, but issued a citation for reckless driving, no fee attached as the court decides this (signs state a max fine of $1000 and 8 years in prison here in Indiana). I am so incredibly disappointed with myself that it's really unspeakable. This being said, I need a reality check. So, my questions are these:
1. Anyone gone through a reckless driving speeding case like this? No, I didn't hit anything or anybody, just too fast.
2. Any chance these can be plead down to just speeding, or maybe do some community service instead of a whopping fine?
3. I'm working through my IR presently, would like to get into 135 or 121 work after my training here in Indy. How badly does this reflect toward a potential future employer in the aviation industry?
4. With the exception of "Don't speed anymore", any other words of wisdom?
Thanks-
MJD :banghead:

A wreckless wont hurt too bad I dont think. A buddy of mine was hired with 2 airlines and had I believe 2 wreckless tickets. DUI are what will get you in the interviews.

Today is sunday, where there actually workers in the work zone?

-Rob

A wreckless wont hurt too bad I dont think. A buddy of mine was hired with 2 airlines and had I believe 2 wreckless tickets. DUI are what will get you in the interviews.

Today is sunday, where there actually workers in the work zone?

-Rob
Nope, no workers working today, so I suppose that's good. It's incredible to me how I can completely ignore speed limit signs just to get someplace on time. I've been disappointed in myself before, but this one is seriously the worst. I think I'm going to lay around all day and mope.

I guess the other thing, too, is the ticket itself doesn't state "reckless driving" it only states speeding. I think the officer told me it was reckless driving, due to the high speed, so I wonder if it'll be just a standard speeding ticket or if it will be reckless. Just thinking outloud, unless someone knows how these legal things work - I sure don't.

1. Get a lawyer. Usually, even with lawyer fees, they can get the fine down to lower than what you would pay without one.

2. You are a long ways away from a seat in a 121 outfit, so don't sweat it. 135 and 91 outfits usually don't care.

If it ever comes up, be honest, own up to it, admit your mistake and move on.

It's incredible to me how I can completely ignore speed limit signs just to get someplace on time

Honestly man, 83 in a 45 goes a bit beyond "ignoring" speed limit signs. Anyways I second the lawyer thing. I've known a few people who got a lawyer who paid more in lawyer fees than their tickets but their charges were reduced significantly. It was worth it. Although I doubt they learned their lesson.

On a side note, is it a work zone? Or do the previously "regular" speed limits apply since there were no workers? Hmm, that's something for the lawyer, that would help your case significantly. In fact 83 in a 65 while high certainly isn't "eye popping" interview stuff.

I don't think you're SOL here. More poor from the fine, maybe. Don't let it beat you up too badly. The lawyer is probably going to be worth it.

Even if it goes on your record, when it comes to interviewing time, like the others said: own it, tell them what happened and what you learned, and you'll be fine.

I imagine that it is EXTREMELY rare to find a pilot out there that doesn't have a speeding ticket as well as a busted checkride at some point. We all make mistakes.

Honestly man, 83 in a 45 goes a bit beyond "ignoring" speed limit signs. Anyways I second the lawyer thing. I've known a few people who got a lawyer who paid more in lawyer fees than their tickets but their charges were reduced significantly. It was worth it. Although I doubt they learned their lesson.

On a side note, is it a work zone? Or do the previously "regular" speed limits apply since there were no workers? Hmm, that's something for the lawyer, that would help your case significantly. In fact 83 in a 65 while high certainly isn't "eye popping" interview stuff.
Yeah, you're not kidding. That was waaay too fast. Seriously, my head was just up my @$$ this morning, I haven't the slightest what I was thinking. Regardless, your point about it being an active/inactive work zone may be something of interest I can look into. You're right, I'm sure all of us have done 83 in a 65 or 70, and may be a bit more tolerable. Still excessive, but not "reckless". I'll have to also look into if this is "speeding" or "reckless" that I'm battling.
I know that tickets can be dropped if you contest it and the officer doesn't show for the court hearing, so I'm wondering if I can just contest it, show up, hope for the best, and lay myself on the mercy of the court, so to speak.
Ugh.
Thanks for the advice, though!

get a lawyer. I got 'racing on the highway' which is just as bad as that.

I got a lawyer and he actually had them drop the charges/ticket if I just do 40 hours of community service. I did my hours, and its not even on my record

I'm all for giving workers a "brake" and abide 100% of the time but I never understood why the speed needs to be reduced when workers aren't present.... I guess just another way for the gov't to make a buck or two.

Good luck with your case dude...

Couldn't agree more... If workers were present, I'd be really disappointed in myself because it really does put them in danger. Something as goofy as a tire blow out could cause me to injure them, myself, my passenger, other motorists, etc... Agreed that the speed reduction should be lifted on off days, but no matter how I hammer this out, 83 is just ridiculous. I like the sounds of what taseal states in doing community service. Quite honestly, that'll probably make me learn more of a lesson verses shelling out a ton of cash. Eitherway, though, if you get behind a Jeep Liberty doing the speed limit here in Indiana, it's probably me so don't flip me off for being the slow guy on the road.

The reckless charge may have to do with your speed. In one state where I used to live (can't recall which at the moment), anything more than 15 over the limit was automatically "reckless."

Be careful with this. Most people just end up looking like idiots and don't do anything but piss off the judge when they try to come in and play attorney. It will usually be quite obvious that you did your research online on some "fight traffic tickets.com" site. Getting a lawyer is the best bet. I never mind working with an attorney to reduce charges as long as the driver was courteous and understanding of his/her dangerous driving behavior.
You shouldn't have a problem getting this pled down to a speeding violation. Lots of states have laws that automatically qualify it as reckless driving if you are above a certain amount over the speed limit. We don't have that in SC. Speed alone is not considered a basis for a reckless driving charge. It would have to have some other dangerous violation in conjuction to the speed in order to get a reckless conviction. Get an attorney and let the officer know that you are very sorry for the lack of judgment. Shouldn't be a problem for you.

Be careful with this. Most people just end up looking like idiots and don't do anything but piss off the judge when they try to come in and play attorney. It will usually be quite obvious that you did your research online on some "fight traffic tickets.com" site. Getting a lawyer is the best bet. I never mind working with an attorney to reduce charges as long as the driver was courteous and understanding of his/her dangerous driving behavior.
You shouldn't have a problem getting this pled down to a speeding violation. Lots of states have laws that automatically qualify it as reckless driving if you are above a certain amount over the speed limit. We don't have that in SC. Speed alone is not considered a basis for a reckless driving charge. It would have to have some other dangerous violation in conjuction to the speed in order to get a reckless conviction. Get an attorney and let the officer know that you are very sorry for the lack of judgment. Shouldn't be a problem for you.
This is great to hear. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my issue. I'm certainly regretting getting up this morning and making that mistake, that's for sure - I just hope that I can convey that to the court in a few weeks. At this point, I still wonder if it's worth getting an attorney to help with this, or just go in on my own and apologize and hope for the best. I don't plan on trying to get out of it, as in say I didn't do it or anything, but rather request a lesser fine/charge.
Thanks again for the advice!

From what I know, a work zone is a work zone with or w/o workers. Five-O can chime in on this.

Basically in a work zone, fines and penalties can be doubled.

Back