Minimum Requirements To Be Selected For ATC

TheMattAttack17

Hey Everyone,

Just had a few questions about the initial process of applying. Just wanted to know how mandatory the 3 years of full time work experience is. Reason I ask is because I have around 3 years of college coursework done except they barely give you any full time work experience for that. Aside from that, I worked part time jobs throughout my whole college experience. I've held down part time jobs since the time I was 15 up to now. I'm currently 20 years old and really looking to try to become a controller. My ultimate goal is to fly but given financial situations and low starting wages for pilots, I've decided to put it off for now and pursue a different career and fly for fun in my spare time. So any information you guys can offer as far as being selected and the application process would be greatly appreciated. Just wanted to find out if the work experience thing would be disqualifying right off the bat. Also, I know they check credit and was wondering if that would be disqualifying as well. A couple years ago I decided a credit card would be a good idea and learned the hard way it wasn't. Since then everything is all cleared up and taken care of.

Minimum Qualifications : The maximum entry age for these positions is 30 years of age i.e., you must be hired prior to reaching your 31st birthday. Prior experience or training in air traffic control is not required. Applicants will be evaluated based on their responses to the online application. You may qualify for this position on the basis of work experience, college education, or a combination of both. TO QUALIFY BASED ON WORK EXPERIENCE, INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS MUST DOCUMENT THREE YEARS OF PROGRESSIVELY RESPONSIBLE FULL-TIME (40 HOURS PER WEEK) EXPERIENCE THAT DEMONSTRATES THE POTENTIAL FOR LEARNING. Progressively responsible experience might include for example: an increase in leadership duties, working with less supervision, or an increase in financial responsibility. You are encouraged to include any experience that is directly related to the air traffic control occupation. TO QUALIFY BASED UPON EDUCATION, APPLICANTS MUST DOCUMENT A FULL 4-YEAR COURSE OF STUDY LEADING TO A BACHELOR'S DEGREE. You may also qualify by combining your work experience and college credits; one year of undergraduate study (30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours) is equivalent to 9 months of general work experience. Successful candidates must be able to speak English clearly enough to be understood over radios, intercoms, and similar communications equipment.

breathing
MU026_FULL_BODY_CAST.jpg

I've read of people who didn't make the cut because they were a few months away from 3 years. So it seems like they are pretty strict on it. I would go ahead and apply anyway, ya never know.

I've read of people who didn't make the cut because they were a few months away from 3 years. So it seems like they are pretty strict on it. I would go ahead and apply anyway, ya never know.

Well in that case everyone wish me luck. I guess I'll fill out the application and see where it goes from there. Does anybody know if Barnes And Noble would have an ATSAT prep book? Never too early to start preparing, even if I don't get picked up this time around.

Well in that case everyone wish me luck. I guess I'll fill out the application and see where it goes from there. Does anybody know if Barnes And Noble would have an ATSAT prep book? Never too early to start preparing, even if I don't get picked up this time around.

I doubt Barnesand Noble has it. I got mine through Amazon. Make sure you get the green book by ASA with the CD.

I also recommend playing www.atc-sim.com , it's quite fun AND it helps you practice for the radar scenarios portion of the ATSAT test. (I played it before the test, and I think it helped me immensely. You get used to typing in commands as fast as your brain can think, plus you get a feel for the spatial thinking that is necessary for this type of job.)

Just wanted to thank everyone once again for the help thus far. A couple more questions though. The site posted above (jeremyjustice) seems like the whole interval thing would work out in your favor when it comes to taking the test? Since the intervals stated above were every second vs. the actual test being every 7 seconds? And one more question. Someone posted saying they've read about people getting turned down being a few months shy of the 3 year mark and another one posted about breathing. I heard that the demand for controllers seems to be pretty high. So my main question is has anyone heard of somebody getting in with less than 3 years full time work experience? As stated above just wanted to thank everyone for the help and links posted above.

Just wanted to thank everyone once again for the help thus far. A couple more questions though. The site posted above (jeremyjustice) seems like the whole interval thing would work out in your favor when it comes to taking the test? Sort of, you get so used to everything updating every second that when you take the test you're just sitting there waiting for it to update and if you don't get everything you need to done in those 7 seconds, or if a pilot reads something back wrong right beforse the targets update then points are deducted, you could have a proximity alert, or the planes could hit. Since the intervals stated above were every second vs. the actual test being every 7 seconds? And one more question. Someone posted saying they've read about people getting turned down being a few months shy of the 3 year mark and another one posted about breathing. I heard that the demand for controllers seems to be pretty high. So my main question is has anyone heard of somebody getting in with less than 3 years full time work experience? As stated above just wanted to thank everyone for the help and links posted above. Sorry, no they're not letting anyoneone in shy of the three year mark. Sometimes even if you do have the three years worth of work experience they'll tell you you don't and refuse to schedule you for the AT-SAT (personal experience)

Ah. Silly requirements. They really kind of shaft you when it comes to college credits. I was pulling a full school workload plus a part time job of around 30 hours a week part time position. Then during the summers I had a full time job. Personally I think school and working is a tougher gig than a full time job. That's just my .02 though. I guess a penny for my thoughts right?:rolleyes:

Check the Barnes and Noble website. One by me had it but I already found it at my local library.

Back