The New Cirrus Jet

How is it that Burt Rutan can make an asymmetrical twin look hot, yet Cirrus, makers of the admittedly slick SR-22, find a way to make a v-tail hideous?

That thing is ugly as sin.......... I still can't wrap my head around a single engine jet. It's not a jet unless it has 2 engines!!!

It may be fat and ugly, but at least it will be more comfortable than the "honda civic - like" back seats of the Eclipse.

That thing is ugly as sin.......... I still can't wrap my head around a single engine jet. It's not a jet unless it has 2 engines!!!
????
From the tiny BD 5J to the massive F105, there has been a lot of single engine jets.

The single engine VLJ should have similar glide characteristics to some single engine HP pistons and with FADEC should be easier to handle. Just remember that these things have got to spool...

Anyone else feel that if it has the capability of flying in the flight levels, there should be some type-specific training?

Maybe change the criteria for a type-rating to include turbine-engined aircraft with advanced avionics, complex systems and ability to mix it up with us?

Salesmen stress the automation and that the plane can fly itself. Forget pilot ability. Why should anything change? Single line emergency procedure: Pull the handle.

"N12345, traffic 12 o'clock and 5 miles a Cirrus jet descending from FL250 under canopy."

????
From the tiny BD 5J to the massive F105, there has been a lot of single engine jets.

The single engine VLJ should have similar glide characteristics to some single engine HP pistons and with FADEC should be easier to handle. Just remember that these things have got to spool...

My point is that ever since I was old enough to think, I pictured a jet as having two engines. It's weird to see all the singles coming out. It just doesn't look right to me.

That thing just doesn't photograph well. Kinda Guppy-like.

It does look a little better in person.

I moved from "fugly" to "hmmm, it's sorta hot but I just can't figure out why" when I saw the mock-up up at the factory. Sorta like Minnie Driver.

"dubbed the V-1"

Didn't the Germans build a single engine jet dubbed the V1 sometime ago? ;)

...In other news, 400 spouses purchased $100 million dollar life insurance policies...

My problem with these airplanes is that they arent going to be operated by professional pilots but rather amatures.

Whats a "professional"?
Whats a "amature"?

I would bet that most of the VLJ's operating will have a paid commercial pilot on board.

Anyways, why do people think that having a commercial certificate=professional pilot? I've know guys that dont have a commercial license, but could fly circles around senior 777 captains.

My problem with these airplanes is that they arent going to be operated by professional pilots but rather amatures.

Eclipse failed nearly 70% of the applicants in my friend's class. He is ex-Delta with a slew of type ratings (including a single pilot Citation type). He said it was the toughest checkride and school he has been though. After school he was required to fly 25 hours with an instructor (down from the normally requried 100). They are not letting just anybody fly these jets. Hopefully Cirrus will do something similar, but they have always had a very poor training program IMO.

Alex.

Back