Recording cockpit audio- Any Advice on How To???

jwp_145

GhostRider in the Sky
Hey folks,

I have been writing music again, and I was starting to compile some ideas for some new material. I'd like to be able to record some cockpit/ATC audio on a few flights for use in some music.

Does anyone have any clue how I might go about doing that? I'd like to get some decent quality. It will most likely be in an analogue 172, a G1000 172, or a Be-76.

Additionally, if you listen to "Learning to Fly" by Pink Floyd, off the Momentary Lapse of Reason" album I think... anyhow, you can hear towards the end of the bridge Pink FLoyd's drummer, Nick Mason, going through the pre takeoff check in a 172 presumably. He is an accomplished pilot, and David Gilmour recently sold his aviation company.

Thanks for the help.

digital recorder? my students use one, but i am not sure of the brand

Digital recorder where? Common sense says that I'll need a recording device. I'm wondering if I can just get something that I can jack in-line between my headset and the panel jack for the headset. I'd suppose I'd need an adapter for the male jacks though.

Digital recorder where? Common sense says that I'll need a recording device. I'm wondering if I can just get something that I can jack in-line between my headset and the panel jack for the headset. I'd suppose I'd need an adapter for the male jacks though.

Check RadioShack for your audio needs...
cheers2.gif

If one wanted to use a thin, black-faced audio device for their inflight listening pleasure, I've heard that a simple y-adapter and mini-plug converter work quite well. ;)

I would assume the same could be done with a recorder...

Couldn't you plug into the audio feed on a 4 place intercom on one of the unused seats? You would still need some adapters but that may work.

Couldn't you plug into the audio feed on a 4 place intercom on one of the unused seats? You would still need some adapters but that may work.

Probably because I'm half retarded. Haha, thanks for that, as I'm sure now that's all I'll have to do. I could just get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and that should work like a charm. The recording device was never the problem, I just... I'll stop talking now. hahaha

And to the guy suggesting ATC live or whatever, I know about that place, but the point is if I'm writing a song, and I'm performing the song, and I'm a pilot, it wouldn't be that cool to use some random atc chatter.

Probably because I'm half retarded. Haha, thanks for that, as I'm sure now that's all I'll have to do. I could just get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and that should work like a charm. The recording device was never the problem, I just... I'll stop talking now. hahaha

And to the guy suggesting ATC live or whatever, I know about that place, but the point is if I'm writing a song, and I'm performing the song, and I'm a pilot, it wouldn't be that cool to use some random atc chatter.

Sounds like a cool project...post the link to the audio here so we may listen to it when you're done :)

if you want to be more "in control"- and we all know you pilots love control ;) just use your audio sequencer of choice (garageband, ableton live...whatever) and insert a band pass filter on dialog. You should be able to tweek it to get what you need. As long as you are in flight there will be a ton of noise which will be impossible to EQ out, unless this is pre-takeoff...

if you want to be more "in control"- and we all know you pilots love control ;) just use your audio sequencer of choice (garageband, ableton live...whatever) and insert a band pass filter on dialog. You should be able to tweek it to get what you need. As long as you are in flight there will be a ton of noise which will be impossible to EQ out, unless this is pre-takeoff...
Assuming you don't have access to a direct out. :)

Back