Why is VGT's ATIS so LOOOONG?

slushie

F2TH C56X C500
...and full of condescending statements and tones?

"Yellow flashing lights indicate you are approaching an active runway...ATC Clearance required."

"Read. Back. ALL. Run. Way. Assignments. Read. Back. ALL. Hold. Short. Instruct. Shuns."

and my personal favorite:

"check density altitude."

how about put the DA in the report or let the pilots take the liability that their certificates give them?

And why do they need to tell you which taxiways are closed if you need taxi clearance inside the movement area anyway?

The five minute long ATIS probably causes more confusion than help.

Hahhahahahah! I love it. On the ground it sucks but in the air it sucks even more lol.

And why do they need to tell you which taxiways are closed if you need taxi clearance inside the movement area anyway?
Because when some genius doesn't get NOTAMs and gets a clearance of "Taxi to runway 32", they don't want him turning on 93 closed taxiways.

I read something recently about requiring almost progressive instructions anymore....

-mini

Because when some genius doesn't get NOTAMs and gets a clearance of "Taxi to runway 32", they don't want him turning on 93 closed taxiways.

I read something recently about requiring almost progressive instructions anymore....

-mini
Yes, but at VGT they'll still give you "Taxi to, hold short runway 12R via inside ramp, hotel, bravo" It's never just "taxi to _"

Hahhahahahah! I love it. On the ground it sucks but in the air it sucks even more lol.

Yeah when I'm done for the evening I just rely on LAS APP/DEP to give me the summary. He's usually bored enough to do it with out asking if I have it.

Next time VGT asks "verify information ___" my response will be "Negaitve. Not enough time."

:)

Yes, but at VGT they'll still give you "Taxi to, hold short runway 12R via inside ramp, hotel, bravo" It's never just "taxi to _"

...and someone will still turn onto closed taxiways.

Though, I guess they'd do that whether they got NOTAMS, they were on ATIS or there was a big fat guy dressed in a clowns suit with a "DO NOT ENTER" sign standing at each closed taxiway, so perhaps the point is moot.

-mini

VGT controllers are not the friendliest bunch I've ever had the pleasure of working with for sure.:)

VGT controllers are not the friendliest bunch I've ever had the pleasure of working with for sure.:)

:yeahthat:

turnrightherepiper123holdfortherunupinuse,taxitorunway12rightandhold. yougotthatordoineedtorepeat...it... slo.....werrrr forrr yah.

I wish I knew where that guy lived. :)

Yeah when I'm done for the evening I just rely on LAS APP/DEP to give me the summary. He's usually bored enough to do it with out asking if I have it.

Next time VGT asks "verify information ___" my response will be "Negaitve. Not enough time."

:)

you funny man, dr. jones

VGT was #1 in the nation for runway incursions not too long ago. I believe thats why

I flew a Cessna out of Northtown for about 3 years back in the late 90s, and it was a nice place to fly from. With the exception of all the Scenic traffic, it was convenient to go see MT Charleston, the strip, go out to the Dam, etc.

I found that as soon as you showed them that you were local, knew local landmarks (the Showboat was a favorite at the time), and didn't do stupid stuff, they were pretty good to you.

I've thought the exact same thing when I've flown in there. It is interesting, though, that now even at the smallest towered airports, they have to say "Taxi to Runway 18 via Alpha" when there is only one taxiway that connects the main ramp to the runway! (Mini can back me up on this, seeing as he's been flying out of IXD lately ;) )

Have you been to long beach?

Lately it said "all aircraft, listen closely to taxiway closure notams, especially air carriers."

They are still telling us about PAPI's that are out and a displaced threshold that has been displaced for about 3 years now.

Here's a better question. Why does Denver change their ATIS information every 15 minutes? You'll pick it up at the gate and then by the time you get out to the taxiways its different. Every time. I think Denver kills the most trees out of all the hubs.

Here's a better question. Why does Denver change their ATIS information every 15 minutes? You'll pick it up at the gate and then by the time you get out to the taxiways its different. Every time. I think Denver kills the most trees out of all the hubs.

In Denver they say "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."

When did it become 15? Global warming I tell ya!

I used to fly out of VGT as an instructor and then in a Lear. The controllers were pretty funny as they really thought they were the best. I went up in the tower a lot though so I eventually got to know them. There used to be a woman there that would start freaking out if she had more than 3 airplanes coming in at the same time. She'd make everyone go over to Lone Mtn and do a 360 then come back in. Is she still there? This was 1999 so maybe she is gone. I did the traffic watch out there as well for CFI at LAS...good times.

VGT was #1 in the nation for runway incursions not too long ago. I believe thats why

And they think it's all the pilots screwing up...

It's just a crazy airport in a crazy place.

Pilots screw up, ATC screws up, and then you get a fleet of canadian 172s that don't know they can make one call for the whole bunch of them by saying "and flight"

I used to fly out of VGT as an instructor and then in a Lear. The controllers were pretty funny as they really thought they were the best. I went up in the tower a lot though so I eventually got to know them. There used to be a woman there that would start freaking out if she had more than 3 airplanes coming in at the same time. She'd make everyone go over to Lone Mtn and do a 360 then come back in. Is she still there? This was 1999 so maybe she is gone. I did the traffic watch out there as well for CFI at LAS...good times.
Don't think someone would stay there that long. But that kind of stuff still happens.

Back