Thoughts on this?

Good call on the fish sandwich, and chocolate cake. I had forgotten about both of those.

FWIW, when the earth was still cooling, and I was in the 3rd grade, the BCSD still believed that very small neighborhood schools were the way to go. My little school had about 200 kids, tops.

The entire school administration was 3 people: The principal, her secretary and the librarian. Assorted cafeteria employees, probably didn’t exceed 3. Principal was a tiny woman that wasn’t more than 90lbs soaking wet, but her gaze could turn you to stone as sure as Medusa. 4th grade teacher was responsible for metting out corporal punishment. He had what appeared to be a cricket bat with the word “Justice” painted on it. You did NOT want to face justice.

Anyone else that came in, like an art or music teacher was on a rotation from the County.

Mid 70’s and we still said grace before lunch, but it didn’t last too much after that.
 
Anyone else that came in, like an art or music teacher was on a rotation from the County.
“Mrs. Elliott's missionary zeal about Mozart has nothing to do with our problem. Nothing!”

Sorry. I think in movie quotes.

That entire scene is a master class in acting.
 
FWIW, when the earth was still cooling, and I was in the 3rd grade, the BCSD still believed that very small neighborhood schools were the way to go. My little school had about 200 kids, tops.

The entire school administration was 3 people: The principal, her secretary and the librarian. Assorted cafeteria employees, probably didn’t exceed 3. Principal was a tiny woman that wasn’t more than 90lbs soaking wet, but her gaze could turn you to stone as sure as Medusa. 4th grade teacher was responsible for metting out corporal punishment. He had what appeared to be a cricket bat with the word “Justice” painted on it. You did NOT want to face justice.

Anyone else that came in, like an art or music teacher was on a rotation from the County.

Mid 70’s and we still said grace before lunch, but it didn’t last too much after that.
Yeah. I started in the early 80’s. It had changed significantly from how you describe it. Busing was in full effect, my elementary school still only hovered around 500 though. We weren’t portable city like a lot of the schools at that time. And our art and music teachers were our own.
 
FWIW, when the earth was still cooling, and I was in the 3rd grade, the BCSD still believed that very small neighborhood schools were the way to go. My little school had about 200 kids, tops.

The entire school administration was 3 people: The principal, her secretary and the librarian. Assorted cafeteria employees, probably didn’t exceed 3. Principal was a tiny woman that wasn’t more than 90lbs soaking wet, but her gaze could turn you to stone as sure as Medusa. 4th grade teacher was responsible for metting out corporal punishment. He had what appeared to be a cricket bat with the word “Justice” painted on it. You did NOT want to face justice.

Anyone else that came in, like an art or music teacher was on a rotation from the County.

Mid 70’s and we still said grace before lunch, but it didn’t last too much after that.

I wasn't in Florida, but when i was in JR High our vice principal doled out the punishment, he had what appeared to be a cricket bat too, and it had “ board of education “ painted on it.
 
Yeah. I started in the early 80’s. It had changed significantly from how you describe it. Busing was in full effect, my elementary school still only hovered around 500 though. We weren’t portable city like a lot of the schools at that time. And our art and music teachers were our own.

No portables at my little school until the 5th grade, where they brought in 2, which was weird because the population at the school had tapered off, and some classes were so small they combined some grades into one class.

High School was a completely different story. But that was the gogo 80s, and now the BCSD is shuttering schools due to lack of enrollment.

I wound up doing a low pass through one year of private school, and it was strictly a no BS, fact driven exercise. In fact, almost everything I learned, in my entire life mind you, about grammar, composition and writing, I learned from the English teacher that year.

When I cycled back to the BCSD, English was back to reading books and taking about what you thought of them, which I thought was less than rigorous.
 
Back
Top