Jet fighters chase small plane in Washington area before it crashes in Virginia (Citation OA9-ISP)

A user on the radioreference forum reported hearing the jets say they could not see anyone in the cockpit. ABC News reports the jets saw the pilot passed-out.

Both the FlightAware and ADSBExchange tracks end abruptly at FL350.

1685919140128.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Possible hijacking? Why no descent into ISP? so strange when you see past data. We’ll see what the investigators say if anything. Fox News is pissing me off. Now I know why so many on the right think the election was rigged. sensationalize much? Anyway we’ll see but my gut says it was shot down.

Last edited:
Strange June. 10+ legs. A diversion. What looks like a test flight.

Attachments

• IMG_2505.png
    IMG_2505.png
    652.8 KB · Views: 93
A user on the radioreference forum reported hearing the jets say they could not see anyone in the cockpit. ABC News reports the jets saw the pilot passed-out.

Both the FlightAware and ADSBExchange tracks end abruptly at FL350.

View attachment 72013
Is the transponder connected to gen busses on the citation? Never flew one.

Possible hijacking? Why no descent into ISP? so strange when you see past data. We’ll see what the investigators say if anything. Fox News is pissing me off. Now I know why so many on the right think the election was rigged. sensationalize much?

Flight plan and expected approach programmed, aircraft flew the approach but in the flight levels then just kept going straight

Flight plan and expected approach programmed, aircraft flew the approach but in the flight levels then just kept going straight
Yeah that’s a good theory. Like to know about that turn at 340. And sudden LOS doesn’t seem consistent with previous accidents related to loss of control due to hypoxia. There’s at least a bread crumb trail till 5000’ or so. Unless transponder and AP went out after fuel exhaustion but still doesn’t explain why -8000 fpm would’ve been the last ping. Who knows. My gut says they were shot down. But the flying the approach is a good one. That final turn however and then lights out, is suspect. Either way, investigators will investigate and cover up stories if needed will be told. RIP to those affected today and condolences to the families going through this tragic time.

Last edited:

Since you're probably the most informed member from that side of the microphone, any idea as to if or when the NORDO began before approaching ISP ?

Since you're probably the most informed member from that side of the microphone, any idea as to if or when the NORDO began before approaching ISP ?

I actually called out sick today to go riding lol. But it was way up in Centers airspace, mine ends at 10k. But ife heard that center was trying to reach them on guard well before they got to ISP.

Fatal 4

Date:04-JUN-2023
Time:c. 15:25
Type:
Silhouette image of generic C560 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Cessna 560 Citation V
Owner/operator:Encore Motors of Melbourne Inc
MSN:560-0091
Fatalities:Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 4
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Written off (damaged beyond repair)
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:En route
Nature:Executive
Departure airport:Elizabethton Municipal Airport, TN (0A9)
Destination airport:Islip-Long Island MacArthur Airport, NY (ISP/KISP)
Confidence Rating:
CR4.svg
Little or no information is available
Narrative:
A Cessna 560 Citation V disappeared from radar screens and crashed near Staunton, Virginia.
The four occupants died and the aircraft was destroyed.

ADS-B data show that the airplane conducted a course reversal about 1h15m into the flight, the airplane flew past the reported destination of Long Island MacArthur Airport (KISP), New York, and continued on a straight path for about 50m. The data shows that the airplane began a rapid descending right spiral from 34000 feet, followed by another spiral at 20000 feet, the last ADS-B return showed an average rate of -28864 ft/min.

I actually called out sick today to go riding lol. But it was way up in Centers airspace, mine ends at 10k. But ife heard that center was trying to reach them on guard well before they got to ISP.
If it was hypoxia, I can't work out how it turned around and flew back to VA. Although maybe, as someone mentioned above, it intercepted the final approach course from the FMS and then just kept on truckin?

I can't keep the Citations straight, but that's a crew aircraft, yes? Like it's not just one well-heeled used car salesman behind the wheel?

If it was hypoxia, I can't work out how it turned around and flew back to VA. Although maybe, as someone mentioned above, it intercepted the final approach course from the FMS and then just kept on truckin?

I can't keep the Citations straight, but that's a crew aircraft, yes? Like it's not just one well-heeled used car salesman behind the wheel?
560 appears to be capable of single pilot, but also not in the ‘know’ on those.

Payne Stewart 2.0? Bummer, RIP.
I certainly don't think so. Why the tight spiral at the end? Unless they shot it down I guess. The autopilot would have had it trimmed out pretty good. That airplane went from straight and level at 34000 @19:22:14z to a rapidly accelerating right hand spiral at 28,000fpm down to a smoking hole at 19:23:35z. A minute and 20 seconds later. That's not a normal flameout driftdown.

I share the same curiosity about the route programmed and how the autopilot pointed it in that direction.

It may not have been a car salesman driving but according to the aircraft registration the address is also an assisted living facility in Melbourne, FL.

I certainly don't think so. Why the tight spiral at the end? Unless they shot it down I guess. The autopilot would have had it trimmed out pretty good. That airplane went from straight and level at 34000 @19:22:14z to a rapidly accelerating right hand spiral at 28,000fpm down to a smoking hole at 19:23:35z. A minute and 20 seconds later. That's not a normal flameout driftdown.
Not sure, but why shoot it down at that point? Well past D.C. and no immediately apparent harm.

Rapid spiral descent could also be caused by a heavy unconscious person falling forward into the control column, following a random bump or whatever. I mean, I doubt they would have been wearing their shoulder straps at altitude?

Of course a good shoot down conspiracy is more interesting and believable for the vast majority of people

Rapid spiral descent could also be caused by a heavy unconscious person falling forward into the control column, following a random bump or whatever. I mean, I doubt they would have been wearing their shoulder straps at altitude?

Of course a good shoot down conspiracy is more interesting and believable for the vast majority of people
So what caused him to finally fall foward after all that time of unconsciousness?

Back