DAYUM SWA!

1685320119811.gif

One of the better gifs from our WhatsApp last week.

Friendly 737 reminder:

The ground power “on” also goes the other direction.

Similar thing happened at a certain virtual airline, and the guys started the APU to put the power on the APU bus. We were reminded that hey, ground power goes off too (which makes sense, as it’s the step you do to put the aircraft dark except one light - power avail).

The commentary on the video was as funny as the video itself.

"awww, mannn!"

I remember an old timer in engineering school telling me "if it doesn't fit, stop and think about what you're doing". That's good advice, right up there with "if it's a dusty switch, don't touch it!".

So, uh, what did happen there?

I see the ramper struggling with the ground power plug, but I also know the ground power switch is in the flight deck.

Are there different flavors of ground power?

So, uh, what did happen there?

I see the ramper struggling with the ground power plug, but I also know the ground power switch is in the flight deck.

Are there different flavors of ground power?
The ground power switch is on the jetway. So it looks like it doesn't get plugged in correctly before he turned it on.

There is a switch in the flightdeck. But that's only for the airplane to start using the power once it's turned on.

The ground power switch is on the jetway. So it looks like it doesn't get plugged in correctly before he turned it on.

There is a switch in the flightdeck. But that's only for the airplane to start using the power once it's turned on.
In my experience GPU plugs are designed to only fit one way, if someone's able to plug it in incorrectly they'd have to put in a lot of effort. One of those situations where it's much harder to screw up than to do something properly. I've never worked for an airline but I've spent plenty of time with big AC power carts, back in the olden times I operated a gas powered tug/AC GPU with two seats, a PTO attached to the generator, a four speed and a Hemi V8. It was slow but it would've made a great stump puller if all of the weight wasn't on the front wheels.

Back