Deep Thoughts: Pre-employment simulator checks

I agree about the hogan being a joke, but reallly disagree about the MMPI.. If you’re enough of an outlier to fail the MMPI, not getting the job is probably the least of your worries. Unless they just really botched their answers by overthinking it. A lot of that test is pretty straightforward stuff like agree/disagree “I see things that aren’t real” or “I want bad things to happen to others”.

Fun fact, you'll fail the MMPI if you don't drink alcohol, and answer all the drinking questions truthfully.

I failed the MMPI the first time because it said I was too positive and and I answered that I drank and had smoked weed before. The second time I took it I just made sure I was more aware of when it said ALWAYS or NEVER and passed the second time.

As far as sim rides, it’s kind of tough to know if it helps. All 3 airline trainings I’ve been through have been AQP which is nice but you literally know word for word what the instructor will say the entire time and exactly how it’ll go. I’d say there’s a not insignificant amount of people that would fail if they didn’t have the gouge.

I think Todd actually said he did awhile back when he was on a psychometrics kick lol

No, we used to use Wonderlic, which Delta used at some point (not sure if they still do). I generally like it.

We switched to Culture Index a couple of years ago, and I’m a big believer in it.

No, we used to use Wonderlic, which Delta used at some point (not sure if they still do). I generally like it.

We switched to Culture Index a couple of years ago, and I’m a big believer in it.
I don’t know what the culture index is, can you elaborate? I’m finding conflicting info online

I don’t know what the culture index is, can you elaborate? I’m finding conflicting info online

It’s a personality test specifically designed for the work place. It was designed by a team of psychiatrists and psychologists. It can be used to determine whether someone is a good fit for a role, but it can also be used on an ongoing basis to see how satisfied an employee is in their existing role. We have our employees take it once yearly, and we use it before interviewing.

It’s a personality test specifically designed for the work place. It was designed by a team of psychiatrists and psychologists. It can be used to determine whether someone is a good fit for a role, but it can also be used on an ongoing basis to see how satisfied an employee is in their existing role. We have our employees take it once yearly, and we use it before interviewing.
Interesting got a link to the test?

Remember when you had to draw the electrical system schematic from memory? Or when during the oral the examiner would say, "you're a molecule of fuel. Take me from the main tank to exhaust"?

If I am a molecule of fuel, then I have free will. And I am not going anywhere. I didn't survive the last 60 million years after my life as Tommy T.Rex, survived the temperature and pressure of being refined at Camp Chevron El Segundo, to sacrifice myself so that a bunch of ungrateful flip-flop wearing pale noreasters can give themselves slow roasting cancer on an island paradise co-opted and sponsored by end-stage capitalism.

Forget that.

I'm hanging out by the overflow vent and waiting for a hot summer day, a distracted min wage line guy, and FREEDOM!

Now, where's my type rating? SIC only, because the regional airlines didn't want me to have a 'valuable' type that I could port elsewhere.

:)

If I am a molecule of fuel, then I have free will. And I am not going anywhere. I didn't survive the last 60 million years after my life as Tommy T.Rex, survived the temperature and pressure of being refined at Camp Chevron El Segundo, to sacrifice myself so that a bunch of ungrateful flip-flop wearing pale noreasters can give themselves slow roasting cancer on an island paradise co-opted and sponsored by end-stage capitalism.

Forget that.

I'm hanging out by the overflow vent and waiting for a hot summer day, a distracted min wage line guy, and FREEDOM!

Now, where's my type rating? SIC only, because the regional airlines didn't want me to have a 'valuable' type that I could port elsewhere.

:)
Fossil fuels didn’t come from dinosaurs

Yep, we think it's fantastic! Results have been great for us. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I pay $7,200/yr for it. :oops: That said, it's well worth the cost. One bad hire can cost many times that. And it's helped me to avoid some bad hires that I would have made.

Yep, we think it's fantastic! Results have been great for us. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I pay $7,200/yr for it. :oops: That said, it's well worth the cost. One bad hire can cost many times that. And it's helped me to avoid some bad hires that I would have made.
You could probably build your own with PCA or k-means clustering and get similar results. It might take a few months to tune your model but if you already have data I bet you could do it for far less than that, but I’m not a psychologist. You could probably measure other things too, job performance, profitability, etc. but you’d want to be extremely careful because you wouldn’t want to optimize for the wrong things.

Back