Target Fixation

FLARE MODE A321 NEO
When passing 100 ft RA, the THS is frozen and the normal flight mode changes to flare mode as the aircraft descends to land. The flare mode is essentially a direct stick-to-elevator law without auto trim, with some damping provided by load factor and pitch rate feedback. The flare law provides full elevator authority.

The flare law has no compensation of the ground effect nor the thrust effect.

FLARE MODE All the others
When the aircraft passes 50 ft RA, the THS is frozen and the normal flight mode changes to flare mode as the aircraft descends to land. Flare mode is essentially a direct stick-to-elevator relationship (with some damping provided by the load factor and the pitch rate feedbacks).

The system memorizes the aircraft's attitude at 50 ft, and it becomes the initial reference for pitch attitude control.

As the aircraft descends through 30 ft, the system begins to reduce the pitch attitude to -2 °nose down over a period of 8 s. Consequently, to flare the aircraft, a gentle nose-up action by the pilot is required.
From the FCOM. I don’t have my iPad currently but I will double check the differences training. Pretty sure it doesn’t do the pitch down though.

Pretty sure it still has that mode. It starts higher though.

I think the new software modifies the flare program. Lemme see if I still have my 320 manuals, BRB.

Yeah, in the 321 NEO differences documents we talk about changes to flare mode with no need for any procedural changes.

I like how the guy in the right seat is filming this. If it was a US carrier their POI at the FAA would be walking atop a big brown desk in a very full, but silent room.

I think the new software modifies the flare program. Lemme see if I still have my 320 manuals, BRB.

Yeah, in the 321 NEO differences documents we talk about changes to flare mode with no need for any procedural changes.

So i did a bit of digging with this (speaking with literal zero hands on experience). The Flare mode in the Pratt 321neo starts at 100 Rwith no mention of the 2 degree down over 8 seconds, while the 320/321ceo and 320neo (LEAP1A) keeps the 50’ Flare mode and all its trimmings.

From what I can tell, the diff article and Vol 3 just state the Pratt goes to direct elevator control at 100’ which “simulates conventional landing feel”. But no mention of the pitch down application.

…can you tell from the semi-necro post I am anxious over the oral haha?

I like how the guy in the right seat is filming this. If it was a US carrier their POI at the FAA would be walking atop a big brown desk in a very full, but silent room.

Ha!

This is NWA DC9 at MEM. The FO has one of those big ass cameras from the 80s. And taking that along for the ride filming from the right seat.

Calling a FA doll.

And in the flare asking “is the gear down?”

LOL

Different times indeed!

Ha!

This is NWA DC9 at MEM. The FO has one of those big ass cameras from the 80s. And taking that along for the ride filming from the right seat.

Calling a FA doll.

And in the flare asking “is the gear down?”

LOL

Different times indeed!

And the video had the annoying DC-9 comms hum the entire time. I made it 30 seconds and couldn't take the buzzing.

So i did a bit of digging with this (speaking with literal zero hands on experience). The Flare mode in the Pratt 321neo starts at 100 Rwith no mention of the 2 degree down over 8 seconds, while the 320/321ceo and 320neo (LEAP1A) keeps the 50’ Flare mode and all its trimmings.

From what I can tell, the diff article and Vol 3 just state the Pratt goes to direct elevator control at 100’ which “simulates conventional landing feel”. But no mention of the pitch down application.

They make you know this stuff? I would murder.

You are correct. These are “bonus bonus” type questions. Good job, though.

Not even sure what youre referring to haha
17F85446-C29A-47F0-8F39-AC26778F4B72.jpeg

Nozzle Noser

Back