WN / DL / UA / AA New Pay, 401k and More

TheFlyingNun

There’s been a lot of questions recently about airline’s new pay or the future of it. So here is a new compilation of some standard base pays and 401ks as shared with me by current dxers at these carriers. This is not to say one of these is better than the other. It’s simply to show the numbers and help future, as well as current dxers with comparisons and possible decisions. Again info was sent from current dxers, and pics go in order listed below. Feel free to add or correct me on any info, just keep it nice and professional.

1) Southwest - Current starting pay about $50k. If new TA is voted in would jump to $89.2k, unless reduced during training. Unsure of license pay.

-With new TA top out pay would be $202.7k.

-Currently negotiating to achieve 15% higher pay than the legacies.

-Work 2080 hours a year, the most out of all of the Big 4 carriers. Schedule is 6/3, 6/3, 6/6.

-Have been told 401k is 9%.

-Length of training varies.

-15 year scale.

- TWU Union

2) Delta - New starting pay day 1 in training $7161 a month = $85.9k. No license pay during training.

-After training + $700 license and premium pay monthly = $94k.

-Top out pay without license pay or premiums $160k.

-A variety of 4/4, 10 hour schedule or 5/4 or 4/3, 4/4 with 9 hour schedule. Hours should be 1750 - 1825… Need some clarification.

-Have been told 401k is 6%, however if you choose to put in more they will match up to an additional 4% = 10%.

-470 dxers with plans to hire up to total 510.

-Training takes 3-4 months from Day 1 to Comp Check, depending if you have 121 experience.

- 10 year scale.

- PAFCA Union

3) United - New starting pay day 1 in training $7161 a month = $85.9k. No license pay during training.

-After training + $700 license and premium pay monthly = $94k.

-Top out pay without license pay or premiums $161k.

-Work 5/2, 5/5 with 8 hour schedule totaling 1880 hours.

-401k is 6%

-510 dxers total after next two classes complete.

-Training takes 5-6 months Day 1 to Comp Check.

- 10 year scale.

- PAFCA Union.

4) American - Currently voting for or against new TA. Final outcome 12/27/22.

-New TA pay AFTER training is complete $7161 a month + $700 license pay and premium = $94.3k a year.

-DURING training you receive 79% of full pay.

-New training pay = $5654 a month = $67.8k. No license pay during training.

-New top out pay without license pay or premiums $159.5k.

-Work 4/3, 4/4 with 9 hour schedule (with 1 hour overlap *subject to change) totaling 1750 hours.

-New TA relief lines may lose the 4/3, 4/4 schedule and vary.

-With new TA 401k is 5% with up to additional 4% = 9%

-About 530 dxers.

-Training is planned to take 4-6 months. However currently taking 6-12 months due to high hiring volume with lack of trainers/comp checkers, and rolling out new software.

- 11 year scale.

- PAFCA Union.

This info is from December 2022.

Attachments

• 33FED6C9-7E8E-42E4-807F-8CAE57922F8A.jpeg
    33FED6C9-7E8E-42E4-807F-8CAE57922F8A.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 555
  • 828E39F1-3EB4-4EB4-8A0C-B26FA181A9C7.jpeg
    828E39F1-3EB4-4EB4-8A0C-B26FA181A9C7.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 569
  • DEE90615-2896-4E40-A4C5-AC08F0E46A75.jpeg
    DEE90615-2896-4E40-A4C5-AC08F0E46A75.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 545
  • 9B89D519-F1D7-4BB0-8376-5477C935F0FB.jpeg
    9B89D519-F1D7-4BB0-8376-5477C935F0FB.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 533
Did DL get a new contract or were the pay increases part of a me-too clause? I know they were negotiating in the fall of 2019.

Does the proposed 510 headcount include SOMs?

What about junior manning amount as well?
Unfortunately at UA juniors can pretty much count on at least 1 JRM on each set of days off, especially if that first day off is Saturday. Sunday, or a holiday.

Hopefully this hiring boom they are on can solve the issue in short order.

Not sure how everyone else is right now but I heard AA was brutal as well.

Not sure where you are getting all the SWA info. There is no new TA yet. Negotiations are ongoing and they have not reached an AIP on the compensation article.

Also, 401k is a 9.3% match and that's for all employees across the company.

Regarding junior assigning, you can't be JA'd here if it'll result in you working more than 6 days in a row. Thus, if you're a lineholder who doesn't shift trade much, you'll never get a JA shift since we work 6 day weeks. But if you're on reserve or a frequent trader, watch out (especially on weekends).

Did DL get a new contract or were the pay increases part of a me-too clause? I know they were negotiating in the fall of 2019.

Does the proposed 510 headcount include SOMs?
This was the pay that the last few classes were given. I am told they may get yet another raise for a Me-Too since the pilots just got a raise, and there would be negotiations for a new TA around 2024 as well. The 510 would include the next couple of classes of February and internals in April.

Last edited:
Not sure where you are getting all the SWA info. There is no new TA yet. Negotiations are ongoing and they have not reached an AIP on the compensation article.

Also, 401k is a 9.3% match and that's for all employees across the company.

Regarding junior assigning, you can't be JA'd here if it'll result in you working more than 6 days in a row. Thus, if you're a lineholder who doesn't shift trade much, you'll never get a JA shift since we work 6 day weeks. But if you're on reserve or a frequent trader, watch out (especially on weekends).
Thanks good to know about the 9.3%. This info is in a quite a few dxers hands and was sent from a couple of them at WN. That’s why I said, IF it went through and is all still being discussed, but definitely open for correction.

Thanks good to know about the 9.3%. This info is in a quite a few dxers hands and was sent from a couple of them at WN. That’s why I said, IF it went through and is all still being discussed, but definitely open for correction.

It didn't go through. Swa dispatchers voted down the TA in the spring so it's all conjecture as to the next agreement. However I do think you could safely assume the schedule would be 6-3-6-6 in the next agreement.

Unfortunately at UA juniors can pretty much count on at least 1 JRM on each set of days off, especially if that first day off is Saturday. Sunday, or a holiday.

Hopefully this hiring boom they are on can solve the issue in short order.

Not sure how everyone else is right now but I heard AA was brutal as well.

AA does not junior assign OT shifts.

I heard about a lot of Junior Mans over the summer to the point they were offering the equivalent of triple time to cover shifts to avoid junior mans. If it wasn’t junior man assignments then what was it?

Triple time was agreed and voted in before summer. No junior assignments occured nor would they have. Its a gray area but the general consensus is junior manning to cover overtime shifts is not contractually allowed. Management has not pushed the issue. Desks close and in extreme circumstances flights delayed until enough staffing can be brought in.

Last edited:
I don’t understand, United is junioring constantly but the others aren’t? Am I missing something?
You’re not the only one. Every airline has to have open shifts. United isn’t junior manning Overtime Shifts, they’re junior manning uncovered shifts. Some desks get closed, but you can’t close the amount needed to avoid junior mans. Junior Mans get Double Time compensation, but it’s not like they’re being assigned to extra desks being opened.

Hours should be 1750 - 1825… Need some clarification.
Unless it’s changed recently, DL is contracted for 1880 hours same as UA. The window you quote is balanced to 1880 by the company giving you extra days off or you having to use vacation, comp time, working extra days, or taking a pay dock to cover the shortage.

Unless it’s changed recently, DL is contracted for 1880 hours same as UA. The window you quote is balanced to 1880 by the company giving you extra days off or you having to use vacation, comp time, working extra days, or taking a pay dock to cover the shortage.
Thanks it’s a little confusing with their variety shifts, but I do like the variety. That’s nice.

Back