It's Official

Too much work to type that in there, while enjoying my catering. 5 years flying the 747 and I think I've offset twice.

I think it's 7 total button pushes on le Bus, maybe 10 scrolling down to the exit point. And a extra 3 for me because I like a 15 degree (vs. 30) intercept angle. Class 2 I do is mostly being part of a conga line of planes to/from the Caribbean where the tracks are kinda congested. Less "big sky" to mitigate problems at least IMHO.

I think it's 7 total button pushes on le Bus, maybe 10 scrolling down to the exit point. And a extra 3 for me because I like a 15 degree (vs. 30) intercept angle. Class 2 I do is mostly being part of a conga line of planes to/from the Caribbean where the tracks are kinda congested. Less "big sky" to mitigate problems at least IMHO.
The very reason why I always* slop. (Recent early morning from SJU north we crossed a 73 1,000 above and I said “huh, that guys close…” then I realized I hadn’t slopped.

@Maximilian_Jenius Strategic Lateral Offset Procedures

Basically taking standardized offsets from track center while flying oceanic tracks to avoid each other a little better whilst in procedural control. We did it in the mil as well, though it wasn't called that, on our routes through Pakistan and Iraq. I'm sure there is a great write up in the ICAO doc if you want to know more details. This is also a surely more interesting write up. Planning to SLOP my way to OGG tomorrow. Mahalo

break.....congrats @DeltaAlphaNovember that's fantastic! enjoy!

I think a lot of things could have saved that flight.

On a domestic airway? No clue about Brazilian air/route network or if it's allowed. They were over land, not the water. Don't know if they SLOP over land?

I think a lot of things could have saved that flight.

Agreed. And having heard the CVR from the Embraer, those two were literally flying around like clueless folks, completely distracted, and no care in the world that no one had contacted them. It wasn't until the CA stepped out to take a bathroom break did the FO finally think maybe I should contact someone by radio, it's been silent. And hearing him talk to ATC in his fast paced (normal) voice showed just how out of touch he was for the airspace he was in. And sorry, but TCAS being on stantby is visible on your MFD and a half decent scan should have picked that up within 20 minutes.

I know Brazilian ATC gets the main blame, but these two Embraer pilots were severely lacking in common sense airmanship.

Back