Should I move to JSX?

airviationpapii

airviation
Hi everyone..I'm back for more advice:oops:
Im a young dispatcher, I've been with a regional for about a year and I saw JSX regional airlines post so I took the opportunity and applied.
Fast foward... I was offered an interview and they decide to move forward with me. Im currently going back n fourth trying to decide if I want to make the jump to back Dallas (my home city) but my goal is to eventually move into a major airline. JSX operates both charter (part 135) and commercial flights (part 121) out of love field they're a relatively new airline that started a couple years ago. My questions..

- Will working for a charter/commercial airline hinder my chances of getting into a major like SWA?
- Will moving jobs within 1 year or less look questionable when I do apply to a major?
- Can working for a new airline like JSX be a bad idea?
- Should I just stay put at the regional I'm at?

Thank you guys so much!! This forum has really thought my thought my journey!

JSX isn't new, it is a cross between 135 and 121 ops and is pretty stable, from what I understand.
I can't speak as far as actually helping you obtain you're career goals.
Several questions to ask yourself regarding staying put vs. jumping: Location/COL/QOL change, Experience gained/not gained, Anything substantial to gain in helping you make a major?

Stay where you are. Wait for the right job. It will come.
And another word....I would be wary of any advice coming from this forum. (except mine!)

One benefit is getting down to Dallas so for when transfer to major time comes, you'll be local to both AA and SWA. SWA is scheduled and repo/ferry like any other airline, the extent of charter work is not common knowledge. However, JSX "mission coordinators" don't have full dispatch duties, only partial. They cannot release flights themselves. If you want full dispatch experience, remain where you are or keep searching. If you don't mind balancing duties for the sense of experience or just wanting out of where you are now and on to somewhere new, by all means take the offer. Nothing wrong with expanding horizons how you please. Best of luck, friend!

One benefit is getting down to Dallas so for when transfer to major time comes, you'll be local to both AA and SWA. SWA is scheduled and repo/ferry like any other airline, the extent of charter work is not common knowledge. However, JSX "mission coordinators" don't have full dispatch duties, only partial. They cannot release flights themselves. If you want full dispatch experience, remain where you are or keep searching. If you don't mind balancing duties for the sense of experience or just wanting out of where you are now and on to somewhere new, by all means take the offer. Nothing wrong with expanding horizons how you please. Best of luck, friend!
Literally about to have my video interview, thank you for this!!

From what I can tell, JSX is a mix between 135 and part 380 public charter operations. I don't think they do any 121 domestic, flag, or supplemental operations. I could be wrong, however.

If that is the case, I'd recommend staying where you are or looking to move to another part 121 carrier. You'll most likely be able to move to a major airline sooner by staying in 121 dispatch. Mid-size airlines like JetBlue, Spirit/Frontier, Alaska, etc. are good options to start applying to, as are larger non-scheduled carriers like Atlas, Omni, Kalitta, and ABX, amongst others.

Quality of life wins over all of that. If you'd be happier living closer to home, then definitely do that. However, if your overriding goal is a major like Southwest, then I'd recommend staying where you are and looking for other part 121 opportunities that can expand your skillset. Airlines like the ones I listed above provide a nice standard of living and diversity of experience while waiting for a call from a major airline. Even staying at your regional is a perfectly good option. Try to take opportunities that arise at your regional such as shift lead, coordinator, or training. That can help set your application at a major apart from others.

One thing to remember - JSX is a 135 operator, so you wouldn't have any jumpseat or CASS access. They seem like a decent company and it's decent starting pay but 121 experience is probably a better way to go if you're looking to get hired by a major.

Ill just add this - I know of several dispatchers that got their start at NetJets/FlexJets. So it is not totally impossible to make the transistion to a 121 carrier after a job like that. A possible downside - You may have to explain, later on, why you made JSX a stepping stone in your career.

Back