Laser pointer on climbout.

On the occasions I’ve been lased I’ve always been tempted to lase them right back with a targeting laser and burn their retinas out. However I think that’s a war crime or something.

I just split-s towards the laser. Gets them every time.

I hate that this is still a thing. I've had it twice so far, once somewhere over Stockton on the way into OAK and another time approaching Buenos Aires. In both cases shutting all the lights off got them to stop

On the occasions I’ve been lased I’ve always been tempted to lase them right back with a targeting laser and burn their retinas out. However I think that’s a war crime or something.
Its ok as long as you say "its coming right for us"

Got hit one good time going into CLT years ago. At the time it seemed like it was a regular occurrence. Got hit going into MYR once as well.

I say do it. Can't be a war crime if we aren't in some sort of conflict with backyard laser douchebags. How will they prove it was you anyway?

Yep. Pain in the ass. Unless they decide to try to lase a PD helicopter, there's not much you can do.

Funny story, some local yokel did exactly that, except it was the sheriff 206 with FLIR. They gave the ground boys the exact street address and the patrol cars pulled up, knocked on the door, and kindly asked if the gentlemen inside were the ones stupidly pointing laser pointers at aircraft. The pilots love telling that story now every chance they get.

Funny story, some local yokel did exactly that, except it was the sheriff 206 with FLIR. They gave the ground boys the exact street address and the patrol cars pulled up, knocked on the door, and kindly asked if the gentlemen inside were the ones stupidly pointing laser pointers at aircraft. The pilots love telling that story now every chance they get.

a few years ago planes were getting lased on final into LGA so a police helo that happened to be flying by was asked to fly the approach and when he got lased he broke off and spotlighted the bastards until ground units showed up

Still the best name for an organizational unit, ICYWW.

1644513954218.png

I've had it a few times now. Most the events were benneign and a nusance.

I had one in LRD that was more than annoying and directed the PD to the parking lot it came from.

The I had in Mexico city must have been a commercial or military laser that some was screwing around with. It tracked the aircraft, the entire cockpit was bright green and tracked the aircraft pretty well. Kept the auto pilot on and lowered my seat and didn't look outside in the direction it was coming from. It also highlighted every imperfection in the windows.

I got one at 16000 feet while going by Eugene. Then I got another one about the same altitude descending into Phoenix on the Fourth of July.

I got one at 16000 feet while going by Eugene. Then I got another one about the same altitude descending into Phoenix on the Fourth of July.

Funny you mention the 4th, I got lased over Iraq on July 4th, 2014. Switched off my pos/form lights and strobes and it went away real fast. Other times were in Virginia Beach, mostly doing FCLPs at our outlying field Fentress. I remember one night, this moron who was surely disgruntled that he bought a house under the pre-existing heavily used and fully disclosed-in-sale traffic pattern, started the laser routine. Apparently he didn't realize that we were flying with, you know, combat capable infrared targeting pods. So we knocked off the landings for a bit, got the pods designated on his dome, and read the exact 10 digit grid and lat/long to the duty officer who passed them to the popo. Pretty sure the guy wound up in prison.

Back