Delta June 2021

We often ask the same tbh… At the moment my company is working on a “flow” program in the near future into Delta for dispatchers. Once that’s established we must also first be trainers or supervisors for one year, and all that it guarantees is a chance at a first interview. But we still must take all the tests, including the Wonderlic. At one point they were also going to require community service as well, but dropped that.
If you work where I think you work, they’ve been talking about a flow through for years, but I’m convinced that Delta doesn’t know or care about that

Any idea why DL has so many hoops to jump through just to get to the interivew? Even UA only has the Hogan and SWA only has an actual dispatch test before interviews. Wonder how many potentially great candidates they lost from the wonderlic or even the personality test.
Whomever they hire is going to camp out in that spot for the next 40 years, so they're careful.

They may knock a couple of tests out at the same time… From what I understand you must pass a personality test first, which has failed a few people alone, to come down in person. The wonderlic and dispatch test may be in the same day, but again I was told by one of our 4 dispatchers just hired for the August class you had to pass the wonderlic before taking the dispatch test. Then finally the interviews. My company is trying to establish a flow program into Delta for dispatchers. Even then, once it’s up and running anyone in it will be required to be a trainer or supervisor for one year. And then they are still required to take all the tests including the wonderlic just to guarantee a first interview. At one point they were also going to require community service as well, but dropped that.
Yeah that was my point, they did everything at once and then determined who interviewed. The personality test being done at home to determine if you appear in person is new along with a dispatch knowledge test.

Yeah that was my point, they did everything at once and then determined who interviewed. The personality test being done at home to determine if you appear in person is new along with a dispatch knowledge test.
I get that but if there is a personality and dispatch test than what purpose does the wonderlic serve?

I get that but if there is a personality and dispatch test than what purpose does the wonderlic serve?
Read up on the wonderlic test. It can be tailored to each employers needs. It’s supposed to determine if your brain can think a certain way, see if your critical thinking will match the job needs, etc. Its not just how much do you already know as a dispatcher but also can you learn quick and is your brain able to comprehend everything that’s related to dispatching.

Does anyone know if they will re-post the position down the road? Or are they going to keep pulling potential hires from the first pool in June?

Whomever they hire is going to camp out in that spot for the next 40 years, so they're careful.
Yes I was going to say they know they have hundreds of people wanting the job too so guess they can make it as difficult as they want. There's always someone out there willing to do literally anything.

Last edited:
OK, so I've been at DL 7 years now. My, time flies when you're not looking for another job.

A lot of people knock the personality test, and I get it. Yes, it and the other tests leave capable dispatchers on the outside and yes, the cognitive reading test can be harsh upon people whose first language is not English.

BUT

They've hired well. We get along. People have common courtesy, an afforded respect to one another. It's not something we feel has to be -earned-, it is -given-. We work as a team. I come in to work and it's a good place to work and in no small measure due to the people I work with.

In my opinion, since they've hired as long as I've been here, they haven't hired a single jerk. Not one. I'm the last one they hired.

If you've worked in a dispatch office, you've known some. I've known some. And you know how they drag the office down. My first workplace was so toxic, I couldn't wait to leave. People ganging up and making fun of one poor woman, continually complaining, displaying tempers, being cliquish, abusing authority... I could go on. The worst guy at that shop is at another major and, from what I understand, he fits in with quite a few that are already there.

But the folks they've hired at Delta are all really cool and capable. Even the ones that came in without prior dispatch experience. Yes, I know that's controversial as well.

Attitude goes a long way in this career. My career mentor when I was starting out (69Beers for those of you who were around back then) once told me "it's only two degrees of separation between you and every other dispatcher in the country, so make sure you keep a good reputation."

And if you have the attitude to show up, work hard, work well with others, learn, and grow - chances are you're going to do OK in this career. With a little luck, of course. And yes, sometimes knowing the right people.

The folks that came in without dispatch experience had the right attitude and worked hard. Worked so hard they earned their certificates on their own time from wherever they were based to spend vacation in a classroom. And the ones that were hired were vouched for as the right fit. Sure there were bound to be some growing pains, but didn't we all have those when we first started? Where is it written that we can only *bleep* up at a regional? And how many of us never make a mistake again once we shake it off the first few times?

Yes, I know people with awesome personalities that would fit in here that can't get through something in the test battery, and I'd love to have them here with us. I hope they keep trying.

But the fact of the matter is that whatever it is they're doing is working. It's working. It's not fair to everyone. But it works.

That's what I've seen, anyway. I don't know everything about everybody. Yet when I think about all of them, I feel alright. When I'm working near them, I feel alright. Alright, alright, alright.

My two cents. Good people. Looking forward to meeting the next 2,000 we hire this year.

Last edited:
I honestly created a profile to give an update on the Delta opening and see if anyone else was going through the same process as me. I applied back in June and interviewed early in October. I made it through the Wonderlic Test and felt the interview went pretty well. I was told that the latest I would hear back would be Thanksgiving but hopefully earlier depending on how following interviews went. On November 12th I got a call and an offer. After that it was about 10 days and I got the official offer in the email and as of right now the background check is in progress and I did my drug screening this morning. Now I’m just waiting for results. The class is set to begin January 10th.

I honestly created a profile to give an update on the Delta opening and see if anyone else was going through the same process as me. I applied back in June and interviewed early in October. I made it through the Wonderlic Test and felt the interview went pretty well. I was told that the latest I would hear back would be Thanksgiving but hopefully earlier depending on how following interviews went. On November 12th I got a call and an offer. After that it was about 10 days and I got the official offer in the email and as of right now the background check is in progress and I did my drug screening this morning. Now I’m just waiting for results. The class is set to begin January 10th.
I took the test back in September and got through the Wonderlic. Got a call on Nov 16th with a job offer for Jan 10th Start date. Got my official email on the 22nd and doing my drug test today. Kinda of a surprise because I got a TBNT email in OCT from Delta. IDK.

I took the test back in September and got through the Wonderlic. Got a call on Nov 16th with a job offer for Jan 10th Start date. Got my official email on the 22nd and doing my drug test today. Kinda of a surprise because I got a TBNT email in OCT from Delta. IDK.
Wow. What a roller coaster ride they had you on. I’m glad to hear that it all worked out for you in the end. Looking forward to meeting you on 1/10.

Back