When did you feel ready to upgrade?

Skypilot101

Was it when you finally got your 1000 part 121 hours? First available upgrade at shop? Did you bypass it until you could hold a line or current base? And those that did bypass it for a later date, did you feel more ready to upgrade than when you did when you first meet the minimums? Any regrets? Just looking for some other thoughts on those who done it before.

I never truly felt ready both times I upgraded. The first upgrade I had 1500 hours in the airplane and airline, but as soon as I got going I really felt comfortable. The second time was as a street Captain at another airline. That's something I would never do again, but that's based on my learning style.

Both times were first available upgrade.

I took the first available upgrade at my previous job. It was after about 18 months and 1,000 hours in type (Regional Jet). It helped that it had a relatively small route structure, which meant by that point I was intimately familiar with all our routes, the potential issues at each destination, and the operation as a whole. I had also been with the company since very early in its development so I felt I had a good grasp of how things operated and the history of how they became that way. It was probably one of the best decisions I ever made. It kicked my career into high gear and I was able to get a job way out of my league also thanks to having that title. Being a captain was also the most enjoyable and rewarding flying job I had. I actually did not expect to like it that much. For that reason I hope to upgrade as soon as available at my current company as well. However, this operation is much more complex so I feel like it will take me more time before I reach the same level of comfort as when I upgraded before.

First available upgrade for me would have been 10 yrs and 2 months at the airlines. I bypassed to stay in base vs transcon commute to reserve CA but once the base closed down 6 months later, I took the upgrade and moved. Almost 11 airline yrs and nearly 10,000 total time before the first hour of TPIC logged. I felt ready because I had always prepared and studied with every bid that would open.

Last edited:
Was it when you finally got your 1000 part 121 hours? First available upgrade at shop? Did you bypass it until you could hold a line or current base? And those that did bypass it for a later date, did you feel more ready to upgrade than when you did when you first meet the minimums? Any regrets? Just looking for some other thoughts on those who done it before.
Took the first upgrade at my current airline. Honestly, I didn’t feel ready until day one of OE. I think a lot of people have a little bit of imposter syndrome and they don’t realize they belong until they belong. By the time OE was over I felt more confident as a new CA than I did as a 3 year FO. Overall very happy I made the jump

First upgrade was as soon as soon as I could hold it and was with 3 years and 2000 hours in the plane. Chasing that shining TPIC.

Pre covid I could have held captain on 2/3rds of the fleet at the current place but have no plans to do so for a while. Can make almost the same money and have a way better schedule. I think what will eventually drive me over to the left seat will be running out of paint to play chamilian for crappy captains with.

I waited until I could hold a line I liked. Took 16 years. Still didn't feel entirely ready but I got through it. The program was way too rushed. I got the "short course" cause I upgraded on the same equipment I was on as an F/O.

If you’re at your career job, you have the luxury of weighing the schedule/QOL pros and cons. If you’re not at the final stop, upgrade when you first get the chance to help you get to your career destination.

I’ve been an FO for almost 13 years, on my 5th airline, but that’s only because my number never came up and I left for better opportunities. Now when i can hold it, I’ll bid because it’s been long enough.

This thread also ought to be backed up with a "things you should watch out for when you do upgrade."

I'll give ya one. People who say "I got no ego." Newsflash, “I got no ego” is the new “I’m pretty laid back.”

I felt ready about two years after I upgraded.

If you feel completely ready the first time you sit down in the left seat and sign for the airplane you're likely suffering from a fair bit of hubris.

If you don't feel ready when you have a chance to upgrade, that's either good because it means you have a chip on your shoulder and you're going to work your tail off, or bad because you're truly not ready.

I never truly felt ready both times I upgraded. The first upgrade I had 1500 hours in the airplane and airline, but as soon as I got going I really felt comfortable. The second time was as a street Captain at another airline. That's something I would never do again, but that's based on my learning style.

Both times were first available upgrade.

I thought you were a kick a$$ captain on the Q when we flew, you cared more than most senior captains and it showed. Heck, you even corrected me on that heading bug procedure, the one of a thousand changes we’d seem to get procedurally. I think that level of sharpness had to do with you being a quick upgrade, forced you into making sure you knew your stuff as that Q400 experience bucket was a little light.

I am quickly approaching the seniority range to upgrade already at my shop. I’ve been here for 18 months and it still feels like a lot of metal behind me. I went from a 65k pane previously to a 412k plane though, still trying to wrap my brain around that scale of numbers tbh. So I’m a big nope on that. Just did Thule Greenland the other day, that is one of many locations I’d definitely like to see a few more times from the right seat before upgrading and getting called to do it as a jr reserve captain. I still find myself asking the captains questions, especially now on some of the international stuff. That is a sign to me, that I’m not there yet. I don’t want to be that captain the FO doesn’t think is entirely sure of all the little details when it comes to international/ETOPS stuff.

I only have about 500 PIC in 135, left my regional during CA IOE for an ACMI carrier. I was nervous about getting into the left seat, but felt ready to do it. The nerves were more just about doing it as good as some of the captains I looked up to, which may have taken some time and experience first hand. As others said, you’ll never feel 100% ready. Honestly if you do, that may be an attitude issue or ego, some nerves are good, they cause you to care about the process more.

**edit** When I was awarded upgrade at my regional, I started a thread called “What’s you’re greatest piece of advice”. That thread is full of some excellent feedback from many pilots with great experience. I recommend reading through that.

Last edited:
I delayed.

When I was a new hire I got based in a city in the northern part of the Midwest and flew there from the fall into the winter and then after a couple months of intermediate bases I was able to get based at home. In the blink of an eye 2 years went by, most of it flying up and down the west coast in easy weather, I've always tried to learn as much as possible from the situations I encounter, but when a few options opened up I had to make a choice. Option one was upgrade back to the northern part of the midwest in the plane I was already flying in middle of winter, option two was stay in the seat I was in until I could upgrade at home, and option three was transition to an FO seat on the other airplane, taking a seat lock.

Some soul-searching revealed that I definitely did not feel safe going back to the Midwest and flying as a new captain with new FO's to terrible airports in awful weather. Option one was out fairly quickly, this realization bothered me and was the main reason I chose the path I did.

Option two was okay, it didn't look like a very long wait in those days and I felt comfortable doing the flying I was doing from the left seat... but that didn't sit right with me. It felt like dodging the issue and shirking the opportunity to round out my education.

I ended up choosing option three. The airplane I was on did mostly north/south flying, and this airplane did a lot of east/west flying and it has decent legs so I knew that there would be weather dodging experience, snow, ice, and everything else, and I could experience it for at least a year under some really great senior captains.

All in all I ended up being on the new airplane for about a year and a half and almost exactly 1000 hours.

Like others here I never felt "ready" but I eventually did come to feel that it was time. I had an opinion about how to handle most things that came our way, sometimes what the captains I flew with did would not have been what I would have done, and sometimes it was, and I had a decent amount of confidence that I wouldn't make a complete hash of it.

So it ended up being about 2500 hours of airline flying and three and a half years. That just so happened to coincide with being able to hold the old airplane at my home base, so it worked out quite nice.

I want my career to be largely trouble free, and that means a healthy level of self awareness. The FAA and airlines will absolutely put you in situations you aren't prepared for if your seniority can hold it and they will hope for the best and the training you're given is usually the bare minimum they can get away with. So, my advice is dont shy away from whatever opportunities you have to expand your comfort zone, and to do some serious soul searching, evaluate your skillset, and do what you have to do to get to where you need to be for the decision to be an easy one.

Last edited:
I thought you were a kick a$$ captain on the Q when we flew, you cared more than most senior captains and it showed. Heck, you even corrected me on that heading bug procedure, the one of a thousand changes we’d seem to get procedurally. I think that level of sharpness had to do with you being a quick upgrade, forced you into making sure you knew your stuff as that Q400 experience bucket was a little light.
Thanks man. I appreciate that. I have my moments.

Felt ready when I was at a regional with no flow, upgrade shot up to 8-9 years, and figured adding more Turbine SIC time for years in the same old jet wasnt gonna cut it.

Back