2021 Dispatch Hiring Tidal Wave ? Recover Trickle ?

But what are the competitive minimums to get an interview?

A while ago it was have a heartbeat and a certificate and you'll get on somewhere guaranteed.
For the regionals the heartbeat criteria is still most likely the only requirement. I don't know any mainline dispatchers on furlough who would even think about starting all over at a regional making poverty wages while they wait to be recalled. Just doesn't make any sense, especially when almost any other job outside of aviation pays more. Even unemployment pays way more. The few dispatchers I know who were at ExpressJet and Compass have left the industry with no intentions on coming back. Just not worth it for them.

If anything the state of the industry may further lower the bar to get on at a regional. Regionals could end up being career destinations for the majority of dispatchers if the recovery is as bad as some fear it will be. Not a very appealing career choice for most people.

If anything the state of the industry may further lower the bar to get on at a regional. Regionals could end up being career destinations for the majority of dispatchers if the recovery is as bad as some fear it will be. Not a very appealing career choice for most people.

Agreed - not very appealing due to the low pay. I was personally on the verge of switching careers myself but I ended up holding out a little bit longer for various reasons - and I ended up getting hired by a major. Unfortunately, there are fewer majors now than there used to be, so I think the competition is a bit stiffer than it once was. This being said, I think the pay scales at mid-sized carriers such as Spirit is pretty decent and high enough that you could make a career at one of them, should you get hired there and like the area, etc.

But what are the competitive minimums to get an interview?

A while ago it was have a heartbeat and a certificate and you'll get on somewhere guaranteed.

Well, 5 years of airline operations experience, a bachelors degree, certificate in hand, and letters of recommendation from pilots within the companies (obviously plus the heart beat)- all that wasn’t good enough to get an interview at two different regionals so IDK..

Well, 5 years of airline operations experience, a bachelors degree, certificate in hand, and letters of recommendation from pilots within the companies (obviously plus the heart beat)- all that wasn’t good enough to get an interview at two different regionals so IDK..

You seem to have a solid background for a regional, no doubt. Have you had someone take a look at your resume, maybe a hiring manager or a professional in the industry? Just thinking about what could be stopping you from at least an interview. Then again, its apparent that it will be extra competitive going forward until a solid recovery.

You seem to have a solid background for a regional, no doubt. Have you had someone take a look at your resume, maybe a hiring manager or a professional in the industry? Just thinking about what could be stopping you from at least an interview. Then again, its apparent that it will be extra competitive going forward until a solid recovery.
Worth it's weight in gold to have a professional write your resume as well as self help books on interviews.

For Netjets if you are a pilot or flight attendant the company will buy your a ticket to get to where your flight is supposed to start at. They would work 7 on 7 off. Netjets puts them up in 5 star hotels and they would get a lot of cash for tipping and expenses. For their dispatch center, they had meteorologists, mx control, and some manages/ supervisors that help with the routing. Can be interesting as it is ad-hoc and is constantly changing. So you will get good at building routes and getting a good feel about the Big Picture with ATC and wx.
Their crew hotel in HPN was the Hilton in Rye Brook NY, nice but not 5 stars. I lived there for over a month and saw no less than 8 crew members on a daily basis. Circa 2017’

All good advice so far in the thread and I'll only add: just keep at it. For some, the interviews are the hard parts; most times it's just getting seen. Just keep at it.

Back