Any N-registered Opportunities in Europe?

86BravoPapa

The current COVID situation notwithstanding, are there many opportunities to fly (based) in Europe without an EASA conversion? I'm assuming N-registered aircraft based in Europe would be almost all Part 91 Corporate?

Thanks in advance.

Does a secondary passport issued by a EU member state increase odds of gaining right to work status?

Does a secondary passport issued by a EU member state increase odds of gaining right to work status?
I honestly don't know the ins and outs of European right to work issues. If you are a passport holder, I'd think you have the right to work, but I'm just a dumb pilot and can't answer for sure. It's best to check with the country you hold a passport with and find out the particulars, and then find a job with the mythical N-registered airplane. They do exist, but it is rare, from what I've seen.

If you have an EU passport, you can work in pretty much any European country (Schengen). I have dual citizenship with an EU country and did a desk job in Switzerland for long enough to that desks suck. Flying gigs would be the same, but again the huge hurdle is finding N numbered plane looking for a pilot.

Thanks for the responses. You're right about finding the N numbers; not even sure where to start when it comes to that.

There are also a lot of M-Reg, 2-Reg, etc. that just need a valid ICAO rating.

EASA does require the pilot to have an EASA rating if the operator is based in Europe. That is regardless of where it is registered, including N-Reg.

I have been looking for something but all the operators I speak to say that even if the company is based outside of Europe they will only hire people who have EASA ratings and the rating from the country where the aircraft is registered.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

EASA does require the pilot to have an EASA rating if the operator is based in Europe. That is regardless of where it is registered, including N-Reg.

I have been looking for something but all the operators I speak to say that even if the company is based outside of Europe they will only hire people who have EASA ratings and the rating from the country where the aircraft is registered.

Wow. Didn't know that. I thought N- registered aircraft were able to be crewed by FAA rated pilots, regardless of base location. Starting to sound like a pipedream.

Yeah that sounds odd, how can EASA dictate who is flying an N numbered plane? Maybe those operators have EU reg planes on their same "135" cert and that's a requirement of that?

M-Reg you can get a validation for. I've had Ukrainian and M-registered aircraft validations. It's just a paperwork drill. That doesn't mean you have right to work in the country though. That's a separate issue.

M-Reg you can get a validation for. I've had Ukrainian and M-registered aircraft validations. It's just a paperwork drill. That doesn't mean you have right to work in the country though. That's a separate issue.

I’m not sure if you were agreeing with me or just pointing out something I’d missed. No worries either way.

To clarify, Yes you can get M-Reg validation but it is not an EASA registration therefore if the operator is based in Europe you will need to have an EASA licence no matter what your validation is based on. The Isle of Man is considered outside of Europe believe it or not.

I live on another island which is considered outside of Europe so I have been able to fly 6 M-Reg aircraft based here with validations based on my FAA ATP and I have a 2-Reg validation. This is without an EASA Licence but that is because for EASA purposes the island where the operators are based is outside of Europe.

However for employment it is inside of Europe. I have the right to work in Europe because my wife is European and have been doing so for the last 12 1/2 years which means I have received settled status and can do so on my own. The fact that you needed the right to work here I thought went without saying but you are right some might need to be told.

A bit of good news, the Isle of Man is now offering blanket validation of you certificate rather than on the serial number you are flying, much like the 2-Reg. This will cost £400 for 3 years.

Here is a cut and paste of the email I got:

Subject: Introduction of General Flight Crew Licence Validation

Good Afternoon,

The Isle of Man Aircraft Registry are very pleased to announce that from the 8th September 2020 we will be offering a new type of validation which is called the General Flight Crew Licence validation (GFCL). This type of validation is available to any flight crew that holds a licence issued by an ICAO compliant State.

The GFCL validation will not be restricted to an aircraft operator, class/type rating or registration mark and will have a 3 year validity.

For more information on this new validation please visit our web page below: Introduction of General Flight Crew Licence Validation .

Kind regards
The Isle of Man Aircraft Registry Team

If there is anybody that is looking for something on this side, I know an operator that has been looking for pilots for his fleet of very small jets. Please feel free to PM me but I believe it is a pay for your own training gig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back