daily pic

Birds can be heroes, too!

I've told all of my stories before, but back at FLX we had a dude (newish guy, I think) have a very similar birdstrike in a 210. As the story goes, he had just leaned down to grab a bite from his plate of Chinese cat-rolls when some sort of avian dinosaur came barging through the windshield, right over his head, then kersplatted in the back, breaking the BACK window as well, and leaving chunks of dead dino all over the place. I used to have pictures, can't find them atm, but they were pretty similar to those above. As the story goes, he landed, tromped in to the hangar, left his ID and portable scale on the desk, and was never seen again.

Not sure of the veracity of that account, but I can confirm that that aircraft had a bird-shaped kill-marking painted on most ricky-tick. 4502U I want to say? It was one of the late model ones with the 550. Didn't fly straight worth a damn, but that might not have been the bird's fault...none of them did. In point of fact, that MIGHT have been the same airplane that had one wing from an "N" and one wing from an "M", hard to remember.
Ha.. preflight inspection of a 172 with a student. "See anything suspicious?" "Nope" "*sigh* MECHANIC!!!" "Wha?" "Does it strike you as unusual that the outer panel of one wing has a symmetrical airfoil, and the other wing has a drooped edge?" "They are the same part number... I think..."

41E137F7-63C9-4115-8BFE-008BF58A717B.jpeg

Birds can be heroes, too!

I've told all of my stories before, but back at FLX we had a dude (newish guy, I think) have a very similar birdstrike in a 210. As the story goes, he had just leaned down to grab a bite from his plate of Chinese cat-rolls when some sort of avian dinosaur came barging through the windshield, right over his head, then kersplatted in the back, breaking the BACK window as well, and leaving chunks of dead dino all over the place. I used to have pictures, can't find them atm, but they were pretty similar to those above. As the story goes, he landed, tromped in to the hangar, left his ID and portable scale on the desk, and was never seen again.

Not sure of the veracity of that account, but I can confirm that that aircraft had a bird-shaped kill-marking painted on most ricky-tick. 4502U I want to say? It was one of the late model ones with the 550. Didn't fly straight worth a damn, but that might not have been the bird's fault...none of them did. In point of fact, that MIGHT have been the same airplane that had one wing from an "N" and one wing from an "M", hard to remember.
When I first came to Alaska one of the planes we worked on allegedly was built with the empennage from a 210, wings from a 207, and fuselage of a 206. It was then sunk in 60’ of saltwater and sort of rebuild from that. It never did fly any kind of right. Eventually it had the engine go kaboom (while on its third set of cylinders in 1000 hours) and landed on-airport, where another local one-man 135 operator bought it. He spent 6 months rebuilding the tail section trying to make it fly straight, never did hear if that succeeded but he’s still flying it today in any case.

Last edited:
new yorkers can't drive, shocking to absolutely no one
New Yorkers are great drivers, you can always expect them to drive aggressively and go as soon as the light turns green. Pittsburgh on the other hand...lets just say, waving me on when you have the right of way just delays us both :bang:

There is a beach on Fire Island east of Davis Park that you can tent camp on, but you have to hike a good distance and the only access is by boat.

Last week , on take off , right around 60 knots I felt a slight vibration , I did an RTO and as soon as I exited the runway , the plane felt like it was taxiing on mud , it was after 6 pm , made a few phone calls , no answer , my mechanic said he left and was close to his house , the field is uncontrolled , there was a 172 doing touch and goes , he radioed a phone number which I called right way , within 10 minutes two guys showed up , ED's aircraft refinishing and his buddy Jay , they tried to inflate it but the tube was bad , they went back to their hangar and got me a spare nose wheel , I taxied it back and as soon as I parked , I saw this massive patch of Fog rilling in ( unforcasted ) I kid you not , within 15 minutes the field was IFR , 200 ft ceiling , mist and 1/4 mile visibility , im glad I didn't fly that day , I am instrument rated but the airplane is not ! I was planing on doing a night flight with a landing/taxiback at JFK . Things happen for a good reason , I stayed at the airport till 20:30 , kept listening to the ATIS as the weather was worsening .

multiple picture upload

Last week , on take off , right around 60 knots I felt a slight vibration , I did an RTO and as soon as I exited the runway , the plane felt like it was taxiing on mud , it was after 6 pm , made a few phone calls , no answer , my mechanic said he left and was close to his house , the field is uncontrolled , there was a 172 doing touch and goes , he radioed a phone number which I called right way , within 10 minutes two guys showed up , ED's aircraft refinishing and his buddy Jay , they tried to inflate it but the tube was bad , they went back to their hangar and got me a spare nose wheel , I taxied it back and as soon as I parked , I saw this massive patch of Fog rilling in ( unforcasted ) I kid you not , within 15 minutes the field was IFR , 200 ft ceiling , mist and 1/4 mile visibility , im glad I didn't fly that day , I am instrument rated but the airplane is not ! I was planing on doing a night flight with a landing/taxiback at JFK . Things happen for a good reason , I stayed at the airport till 20:30 , kept listening to the ATIS as the weather was worsening .

multiple picture upload

Nosewheel aside, you have a fine looking airplane. Glad you're safe.

Back