Aviation as a hobby or career?

scubaracer

I have wanted to fly since I was a kid. Unfortunately when I went into the Marine Corps I was ineligible be go for pilot training because I did not have 20-20 vision. Since then I have had laser eye surgery and I don't think that would such an issue now. I have had a career in IT primarily for the past 30 years, and while the salary is good, I have not had job satisfaction for years. I don't want to regret later that I never got a chance to fly a plane. While I'm now too old (I'm 67 but in good shape and still alert) to fly commercial planes, I'm definitely considering getting my PPL and maybe instrument and multi-engine ratings so I can work as a corporate or commercial airline pilot. If I can't fly and get paid for it, I still think I want to fly just for the fun of it, travel to Bahamas and other places close to us, and maybe go further once I get more experience and training.

Any recommendations or suggestions for me? My wife and I recently moved from Northern Virginia to Pompano Beach, Fl. so we're 20 minutes from the nearest airport and training facilities which is very convenient.

Well you're out of the 121 game due to age 65.

However- start with the PPL and go from there. Why not? Lots of training places down in FL, the entire coast is a pilot haven.

I understand that I can do 121. But Part 91 and Part 135 are options if I decide to work. Maybe even flight instructor could be an option. Ironically I used to live here in the mid-80's for a couple years but at that time I thought I would make it big in Business (my degree) but ended up getting into IT, where I traveled the world and make a lot of money.

Do you need to work?
If I was in a situation where I didn't HAVE to work for a living, and I could afford to own and operate my own airplane, I would just fly for personal pleasure when I want, where I want, on my own schedule. I couldn't do military flying for the same reason as you. I'm eyeballing retirement right now and that is my plan.

Last edited:
I understand that I can do 121. But Part 91 and Part 135 are options if I decide to work. Maybe even flight instructor could be an option. Ironically I used to live here in the mid-80's for a couple years but at that time I thought I would make it big in Business (my degree) but ended up getting into IT, where I traveled the world and make a lot of money.
If you don't need the money, don't work in aviation. If you do need the money, do something you're better at, get paid a lot more and have fun flying.

And I don't want to be a downer, but the vast majority of pilots at 65 do not have what it takes to not need a babysitter for hard IFR flying especially in a fast paced environment. No matter what they think of their own mental acuity. That is, guys that have been doing this for 30 years and probably used to be hot poo struggle at that age when things aren't perfect, scripted and familiar.

Get your private, go have fun with it. No need to turn it into that 4 letter word that starts with a W.

I work for a living and fly for recreation. I am also a former Marine, and I have a career other than aviation. That career allows me to fly when I want, where I want, and the way I want. I'm in a partnership in one plane, I'm building another plane in my garage, and I fly a handful of warbirds with a charity.

You absolutely can get your license at your age and enjoy a new freedom. It takes us longer to learn new motor skills than it did when we were 40 yrs younger, but it's not beyond the ability of an average person.

You don't have to know exactly how you will use your license before you start. It's okay to take it one step at a time and figure it out along the way.

Back