Dishonest disclosure on FAA Medical

Mike s

post to paint a full picture on the issue:

I am feel like I have dugged a hole for myself and want to get things back in track.

I am currently have a PPL with intensions to hopefully complete my training to commercial for a flying career. Before I got my private license I was training with a friend who owns a plane and is not a CFI and basically learned how to fly with an aid of home sim and self study, I learned everything I needed to know and was flying (never PIC) before I started my required 40 hrs training with a CFI.

I got involved in an accident that caused a concussion before I could start my official training. Because what I do for work I was placed on a medical leave for few weeks open to few months till things get better with headaches, migraines , and sometimes dizziness. I was under some pressure from my training friend to go ahead and finish my training while being at home and fly when I don’t have symptoms and not waste all what I have learned with him.

I went ahead and did my medical evaluation and on the FAA form checked no headache or dizziness on history thinking that all I going through is a temporary and will be gone soon, I also refused to take any recommended medications by the neurologist since it was going to hinder my ability to fly and get cleared for a medical in the future being on my meds history.

I was able to fly in days that I was feeling well and obtained my PPL. After that my neurologist insisted that I have to take medical advise and take medication that will help me to get better, one of the meds is used for conditions like seizure and Alzheimer’s And also is used for headache control and is documented that way.

I contact my MEA and he said this is a no fly medication, that is why I didn’t want to take it from the beginning. It has been 2 years now and i got better with symptoms and stopped all medications.

I am feeling like I have started wrong and don’t want this to haunt me in the future, especially that I am ready to move forward with training again. I flew during the 2 years period but never as PIC.

I Was advised my many of my Working pilot friends to Never notify FAA about anything because that could be a big obstacle for me in the future.

would the FAA would ever find out about my inaccurate information on my medical form about headaches and dizziness from 2 years ago?

I was told self reporting is a lot more forgiving that them finding out!

i also never told my FAA about the meds I was on, my MEA office just advise me to just ground myself till I am off those meds.

do I need a legal service or an aviation attorney to help me with this moving forward, or I should remain silent about everything?...please advise on what I should do

post to paint a full picture on the issue:

I am feel like I have dugged a hole for myself and want to get things back in track.

I am currently have a PPL with intensions to hopefully complete my training to commercial for a flying career. Before I got my private license I was training with a friend who owns a plane and is not a CFI and basically learned how to fly with an aid of home sim and self study, I learned everything I needed to know and was flying (never PIC) before I started my required 40 hrs training with a CFI.

I got involved in an accident that caused a concussion before I could start my official training. Because what I do for work I was placed on a medical leave for few weeks open to few months till things get better with headaches, migraines , and sometimes dizziness. I was under some pressure from my training friend to go ahead and finish my training while being at home and fly when I don’t have symptoms and not waste all what I have learned with him.

I went ahead and did my medical evaluation and on the FAA form checked no headache or dizziness on history thinking that all I going through is a temporary and will be gone soon, I also refused to take any recommended medications by the neurologist since it was going to hinder my ability to fly and get cleared for a medical in the future being on my meds history.

I was able to fly in days that I was feeling well and obtained my PPL. After that my neurologist insisted that I have to take medical advise and take medication that will help me to get better, one of the meds is used for conditions like seizure and Alzheimer’s And also is used for headache control and is documented that way.

I contact my MEA and he said this is a no fly medication, that is why I didn’t want to take it from the beginning. It has been 2 years now and i got better with symptoms and stopped all medications.

I am feeling like I have started wrong and don’t want this to haunt me in the future, especially that I am ready to move forward with training again. I flew during the 2 years period but never as PIC.

I Was advised my many of my Working pilot friends to Never notify FAA about anything because that could be a big obstacle for me in the future.

would the FAA would ever find out about my inaccurate information on my medical form about headaches and dizziness from 2 years ago?

I was told self reporting is a lot more forgiving that them finding out!

i also never told my FAA about the meds I was on, my MEA office just advise me to just ground myself till I am off those meds.

do I need a legal service or an aviation attorney to help me with this moving forward, or I should remain silent about everything?...please advise on what I should do

There's a whole lot to unpack here.

I do have one question: did your "training friend" ever actually get any instruction from a CFI or did he self-teach himself to fly an airplane, illegally? It reads like the latter, and I'm really hoping that's not true.

The medical issues in play should be talked over with an AME, possibly an aviation attorney and absolutely no one else, and stop posting about this on an internet forum, anonymously or otherwise.

The bigger issue I see here - since you opened the door - is that you've exhibited some very questionable judgment and that is more worrisome than anything else. In this one man's opinion, I think you should self-disclose, go through the process of getting your medical the "right way" and grind through the process. It will likely not be fun, and the FAA is likely going to look hard at your application because you did what you did. You lied - reasons don't matter - and they'll want to know what else you might have lied about.

You want advice? Get in front of it and get it all out. Take whatever consequences come. If you don't want it to haunt you in the future, this is how you start mitigating the damage.

Back