61.195 (H) - Is 2 yr req. category specific?

tmanf22

Having read 61.195 (H) a dozen times over I'm still wondering if the 2 year requirement to endorse a new CFI applicant is category specific (the reg. mentions "rating" but nothing regarding 'category"). i.e. a CFI received his CFI Helicopter in 2012 and added an ASEL CFI on Nov 1, 2019, would the CFI be able to endorse an ASEL CFI applicant starting Nov 2, 2019?

cheers

T

Having read 61.195 (H) a dozen times over I'm still wondering if the 2 year requirement to endorse a new CFI applicant is category specific (the reg. mentions "rating" but nothing regarding 'category"). i.e. a CFI received his CFI Helicopter in 2012 and added an ASEL CFI on Nov 1, 2019, would the CFI be able to endorse an ASEL CFI applicant starting Nov 2, 2019?

cheers

T

(H)(i): Holds a ground or flight instructor certificate with the appropriate rating, has held that certificate for at least 24 calendar months, and has given at least 40 hours of ground training

CFI ratings are ASEL, IA, MEI, rotorcraft-helicopter, rotorcraft-instrument, etc. The way I read it, in your scenario the CFI has not been rated for ASEL long enough to endorse a new CFI-A candidate.

No. See @CFI A&P above.

Back