Engine Fire on Takeoff

troopernflight

Let’s say you have a left engine fire indication on the takeoff roll and you reject the takeoff. You don’t know at this point whether it is a true fire. As a precaution, you decide to initiate evacuation. Would you first call the FA’s on intercom to give instructions to evacuate and not to use the left wing or rear left emergency exits, or would you make a PA announcement to evacuate and give instructions over the PA?

Let’s say you have a left engine fire indication on the takeoff roll and you reject the takeoff. You don’t know at this point whether it is a true fire. As a precaution, you decide to initiate evacuation. Would you first call the FA’s on intercom to give instructions to evacuate and not to use the left wing or rear left emergency exits, or would you make a PA announcement to evacuate and give instructions over the PA?
What does your manual tell you to do?

I'd probably do a PA "*code word to abandon ship x3* do not use left side unless verified safe"

Well I’d first run the engine fire checklist before I’d initiate and evacuation. Actually our manual says to run the RTO checklist, then the engine fire checklist.

We don’t have code words to indicate direction on evacuation. And this scenario is at the point when all previous checklists are complete, just evacuation.

Run our rejected TO checklist which then *i think* sends us to the Engine Fire on the Ground checklist. At that point you're shutting things down and blowing bottles. Does the fire indication extinguish? Is there smoke in the cabin? No more fire and no smoke? Sit tight... Fire indication continues? Smoke in the cabin? Let's get out of here.

After checklists are complete-
“Hey FAs, we have an indication for fire, what do you see, smell, hear???”

“Hey tower it’s flight 321 stopped on the runway. Say, how does our right engine look to you? Any smoke? The flight attendants don’t see smoke either but please roll the trucks just Incase, they can follow us to a hard stand.”

It’s always difficult to explain why grandma broke her hip jumping off the wing when all you had was a false indication.

Stop.
Parking brake on.
Flight attendants, stations.
Summon emergency equipment.
“I have control and ATC; ECAM actions.”
Run ECAM steps.
While that’s happening, see if the trucks see anything. If they do or if the fire indication persists, evacuation.

This is mostly scripted for us. Previous job was a lot more amorphous/freeform and I don’t consider that a positive.

Stop
Parking brake engage
Confirm fire or abnormality
Shutdown the engines
Extinguisher discharge if fire observed
Advice ATC and request trucks as necessary
Order evacuation as necessary
Battery Master/Gang Bar off
CA last to leave

Memory procedure for us

We’re told not to specify exits to use/avoid. The flight attendants usually have a better view of what’s happening outside.
Our process is to reject, run the reject checklist unless there are more pressing matters, AKA engine fire ECAM. Then the end of the reject checklist asks “wanna get out?” Which leads us to the evac.
We do it this way so we can first fight the fire before securing the engine and losing the ability to shoot the bottles.

We’re told not to specify exits to use/avoid. The flight attendants usually have a better view of what’s happening outside.
Our process is to reject, run the reject checklist unless there are more pressing matters, AKA engine fire ECAM. Then the end of the reject checklist asks “wanna get out?” Which leads us to the evac.
We do it this way so we can first fight the fire before securing the engine and losing the ability to shoot the bottles.
What would cause an inability to discharge the bottles? As far as I know securing an engine on fire would require shutting off fuel/hydraulics/bleeds, normally this is done with either a FIRE EXT ARM button or a T-handle. The bottles are then armed and available to discharge. What other methods does your checklist use to fight an engine fire?

The evac checklist has us shut the aircraft down. Can’t blow a bottle without power. So I guess I should have said “before doing the evac checklist and shutting down the aircraft.”

As a licensed fire suppression system tech, all the systems I’ve serviced ( never aircraft )
Have a fire detection component whether electronic or frangible linked Cable system. News to me.

Like others mentioned, a lot of fire suppression systems are designed to lead you to confirm that you have a fire, if possible.

You shouldn’t be applying your procedures hastily. They should be applied carefully and deliberately.

Reject
Memory Items
Appropriate Checklist(s)

If the answer is not clear by now, you should have several sets of eyes on you and maybe an urgent Interphone and/or radio call to bring the need for an evacuation to your attention.

The bottom line is do not rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell everyone to run and hug these cute dogs...

IMG_8331.png

Back