135 International

Jet Aviation, Jet Edge, STA jets, A couple others. They are all Gulfstream and global operators. For true international you want to be in a G5 and up. Most G4’s (not all!) have been sent to domestic duty.

Jet Aviation, Jet Edge, STA jets, A couple others. They are all Gulfstream and global operators. For true international you want to be in a G5 and up. Most G4’s (not all!) have been sent to domestic duty.

Thanks for the information. Any idea what an average timeline might be to get to the right seat of a Global or Gulfstream?

Thanks for the information. Any idea what an average timeline might be to get to the right seat of a Global or Gulfstream?

Pick an operation that has large cabin aircraft and crawl before you walk. The only skill that can’t be taught in 30-45 days (type rating) in aviation is international experience. The airplane doesn’t care which continent or ocean it’s flying over, but there are definitely some operational differences to learn, and in my opinion of one the biggest challenges to a new international pilot is person/social/physiological. It’s kind of shocking to be 6-12 time zones in the future (or past) in a place that may speak little to no English, on-going conflict, security threats etc. If you are married or in a relationship, it’s an effort by all to figure out how to communicate when one of you is on the other side of planet earth. International flying is a blast, it’s my favorite part of aviation but I’m really glad I had a strong foundation in Jets and as a captain making decisions in a lower stress environment (domestic) before heading deep overseas. Not saying it can’t be done, but in my opinion if you want to do it right, gain the confidence in yourself and your craft first and the international stuff will come a lot easier.

30W or somewhere over Angola isn’t an ideal spot for your first time actually having to pull out the abnormal/emergency QRH.

Goodluck!

Pick an operation that has large cabin aircraft and crawl before you walk. The only skill that can’t be taught in 30-45 days (type rating) in aviation is international experience. The airplane doesn’t care which continent or ocean it’s flying over, but there are definitely some operational differences to learn, and in my opinion of one the biggest challenges to a new international pilot is person/social/physiological. It’s kind of shocking to be 6-12 time zones in the future (or past) in a place that may speak little to no English, on-going conflict, security threats etc. If you are married or in a relationship, it’s an effort by all to figure out how to communicate when one of you is on the other side of planet earth. International flying is a blast, it’s my favorite part of aviation but I’m really glad I had a strong foundation in Jets and as a captain making decisions in a lower stress environment (domestic) before heading deep overseas. Not saying it can’t be done, but in my opinion if you want to do it right, gain the confidence in yourself and your craft first and the international stuff will come a lot easier.

30W or somewhere over Angola isn’t an ideal spot for your first time actually having to pull out the abnormal/emergency QRH.

Goodluck!

I really appreciate your post. Great insight, thank you.

Back