Military Career Advice

future pilot

Hello everyone,

Some of you may know, I have been attempting to become an airline pilot for quite some time now. By far, my biggest hurdle has been financing my training. In November I was all set to begin a zero to hero program and had been approved for financing when I realized I would not be able to afford the cost of health insurance (I turned 26 in January). Since then, I have purchased a house and gotten engaged. I am learning very quickly though that I will likely not be able to find a job that I will be happy in like flying.

I wanted to get advice/thoughts from those of you who have served in any branch of military aviation as I am beginning to consider the ANG, however do not know if it is realistic. I have always wanted to serve my country, so my reasons for considering the ANG are not entirely to help with training (although it is a perk). I’m sick of my job and desperately looking for a change in scenery that could also help me follow my passion in aviation.

I am a college graduate with a Bachelors degree in marketing who has been working in the corporate world since I graduated in 2016. I have never taken the ASVAB and to be honest I am not sure how well I would score as I haven’t had to do any kind of math or science work for years now. I do not currently hold any licenses however do have 15 hours toward my private. In your opinion, would I be in any way competitive for a pilot slot? Or am I looking at a steep up hill battle?

Hello everyone,

Some of you may know, I have been attempting to become an airline pilot for quite some time now. By far, my biggest hurdle has been financing my training. In November I was all set to begin a zero to hero program and had been approved for financing when I realized I would not be able to afford the cost of health insurance (I turned 26 in January). Since then, I have purchased a house and gotten engaged. I am learning very quickly though that I will likely not be able to find a job that I will be happy in like flying.

I wanted to get advice/thoughts from those of you who have served in any branch of military aviation as I am beginning to consider the ANG, however do not know if it is realistic. I have always wanted to serve my country, so my reasons for considering the ANG are not entirely to help with training (although it is a perk). I’m sick of my job and desperately looking for a change in scenery that could also help me follow my passion in aviation.

I am a college graduate with a Bachelors degree in marketing who has been working in the corporate world since I graduated in 2016. I have never taken the ASVAB and to be honest I am not sure how well I would score as I haven’t had to do any kind of math or science work for years now. I do not currently hold any licenses however do have 15 hours toward my private. In your opinion, would I be in any way competitive for a pilot slot? Or am I looking at a steep up hill battle?

I'm a Naval Aviator so I can't really give you any anecdotal evidence about straight civilian to ANG/AF Reserve. Slots at each unit are a bit thin, but not impossible to get if you're mentally, morally, and physically qualified. Don't sweat the ASVAB. I would start studying for the AFOQT and ASTB yesterday.

Go to baseops.net to start learning about stuff and things from a place that doesn't have the recruiting command stank on it. I would also recommend airwarriors.com, but that is almost 100% Naval Aviation. It may have evolved to include AF/ANG stuff in the past few years, but I haven't spent much time on there in about 5 or 6 years.

Since 1949 the most successful way for a bum of the street to become a military aviator is the Army's Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT.) Of course unless your lucky you will be stuck flying rotary wing, do fun army things, and 8 years later have to enter the 121 world at the regional level.

Hello everyone,

It will always be a steep uphill battle so if you're looking for an easier path the ANG is not the way. That being said its realistic and attainable.

Once you take the AFOQT and TBAS you will know where your application stacks up. There are multiple study guides and books for the AFOQT - don't blow it off and just wing it. It's a long test and a bit of a pain but again, attainable to score well.

Start researching and reaching out to units where you want to be. Finishing or making significant progress on your PPL will help. Right now Guard units are looking for people but that's not a shoe in. You might still likely hear "no" before you get picked up.

The ANG route is worth pursuing but keep in mind that it's a crap shoot.

Awhile back there was a Thunderbird that couldn't get on with an ANG unit in his home state, granted he was a bit of an ass.

Consider WOFT or pursue a commission in the Navy or AF. Talk to an officer recruiter, you are up against the clock.

Thank you all for your responses! It is certainly something i am considering and will be giving alot of thought to. It is basically between this route, or waiting until after my wedding and perusing the civilian route. That plan would involve saving as much as i can and then beginning training once the wedding is over, using what i saved to pay the bills and taking out a home equity loan to pay for training.

Thank you all for your responses! It is certainly something i am considering and will be giving alot of thought to. It is basically between this route, or waiting until after my wedding and perusing the civilian route. That plan would involve saving as much as i can and then beginning training once the wedding is over, using what i saved to pay the bills and taking out a home equity loan to pay for training.

If you're serious enough to consider joining the military, then you're serious enough to save up the money to pay cash for the training. Mortgaging the house to pay for it is stupid.

Lot of open slots in the ANG and Reserves right now. They post openings a lot. Just start calling units and apply

Since 1949 the most successful way for a bum of the street to become a military aviator is the Army's Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT.) Of course unless your lucky you will be stuck flying rotary wing, do fun army things, and 8 years later have to enter the 121 world at the regional level.

Or do what I do. We have a lot of Army Helo guys (I’m not one) here. But we are in places where a lot of people spent time previously deployed.

The Air Force paid for all of my flight ratings through ATP along with five type ratings. When I was done with my commitment, I was able to choose the airline I wanted to work for.

If you're serious about it, go in and talk to a recruiter. I wouldn't leave any branch off the table to begin with, but if your end goal is to be an airline pilot, helicopters (army) is a very indirect way to get there. Let them know you want to be a pilot and see what they can offer you.

Back