Vision

Fencer

Experimentalist
Asking for a foreign friend. Is it possible to get a 3rd class FAA medical with one eye being 10%? Second one is 100. Interested in private pilot certificate.

Asking for a foreign friend. Is it possible to get a 3rd class FAA medical with one eye being 10%? Second one is 100. Interested in private pilot certificate.
I flew with someone that had one eye so I believe it is still possible. There was a monocular test he had to take.

In the process of this right now, but yes, you can get a monocular vision waiver

Even the 1st class is doable but in either case it requires a medical ride with FAA safety inspector. You friend would have to wait until the shutdown situation is resolved.

Even the 1st class is doable but in either case it requires a medical ride with FAA safety inspector. You friend would have to wait until the shutdown situation is resolved.

This is currently my conundrum - the FAA has to approve me for a "flight test" for a 1st class. I started this process in August and it's still not done. For one, the FAA got the eye wrong, and lost a ton of my paperwork. It's definitely getting closer, but OKC is a slow process.

As mentioned previously, you can take a Medical Flight Test, after which you will be issued a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA). The SODA exempts you from the vision requirements of the class for which it was issued going forward. I had an airman complete the process recently. Started with no flight experience and six months later was issued the SODA.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

As mentioned previously, you can take a Medical Flight Test, after which you will be issued a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA). The SODA exempts you from the vision requirements of the class for which it was issued going forward. I had an airman complete the process recently. Started with no flight experience and six months later was issued the SODA.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

The process for getting approved for a flight test has been a damn nightmare, but I'm expecting to get one in the coming months provided the government opens again, but yeah, it's not easy. Good to know someone has dealt with this already.

Back