hello

sunday ajibade

i'm new here..my name is sunday ajibade i finished from universal school of aviation as a flight dispatcher. i wish to know more and explore in this descipline

Fuel is time, time is options, options are good.

True statement, however most airlines view fuel as money (biggest expense), and more money means more expense, more expense means less profit...
More "options" will make your dispatch work easier but don't tell that to your boss, and don't have that attitude in your interview.

True statement, however most airlines view fuel as money (biggest expense), and more money means more expense, more expense means less profit...
More "options" will make your dispatch work easier but don't tell that to your boss, and don't have that attitude in your interview.
It’s better to take a few people somewhere than a lot of people nowhere.

Maybe if flying cargo... But if you're flying paseengers, airlines don't look at it that way. If you only "take few" you have to ask for volunteers not to go and have to give them money and place them in hotels at times, which is more of an expense... Some volunteers are offered more then $800... And you said "better then take a lot of people nowhere"???? When would that be the case??? If you divert due to WX most likely course of action is fuel up and go as soon as the weather improves... Taking a "few people" consistently is not better then taking everyone all the time and diverting for FuleAndGo once in a while.
Again, your life as a dispatcher is much harder when you barely have any hold fuel, but I don't think there are any major airlines anymore that don't put a lot of focus on fuel consumption. So, as a new dispatcher in this business, you should understand that deciding how much fuel to put on your aircraft is something you will have to pay a lot of attention to... That's why when you see a tanker flight you will be very happy

See what the OP was asking about... Wasnt talking about you... A new dispatchers can not look at it as "more fuel is better even when leaving passenger behind"... I understand that happens from time to time but the airlines want their dispatchers trying to lower fuel consumption as much as possible... Just an advice to a new dispatcher, worked for me not to listen to all the old timers with their idea of fuel use and it greatly helped my career

See what the OP was asking about... Wasnt talking about you... A new dispatchers can not look at it as "more fuel is better even when leaving passenger behind"... I understand that happens from time to time but the airlines want their dispatchers trying to lower fuel consumption as much as possible... Just an advice to a new dispatcher, worked for me not to listen to all the old timers with their idea of fuel use and it greatly helped my career

Hey buddy, sometimes you just have to bump people. We try not to (because customers keep us in business), but it happens.

Yeah every once in a while that happens but that can't be a daily occurrence... All I'm saying is that a dispatcher nowadays has a big an important role in lowering fuel consumption as much as possible.

Your answered my post by saying,
That makes no sense, what do you mean take a lot of people "nowhere"? Does the flight just disappear if you don't land at your destination? .... In my experience what happens is that you land at your alternate, get some fuel and get another go at it...
My advise to a new dispatcher is to stay away from that type of thinking. And to not go to an interview saying that more fuel means options and options are good, along with thinking that its ok to leave pax behind unless that is absolutely necessary for the safety of the flight.
In my 13 years dispatching, I've seen a lot of dispatcher bump pax just to make their job easier.

Back