How are chances to get back into instructing after being out for several years?

CRAFT

Hi all,

given the apparent pilot/instructor shortage, I was wondering how my chances would be to get back into flying (instructing) after being out of flying for almost a decade (last flight was in 2009). I hold a CPL/IR single and multi as well as a CFI/CFII and ground instructor advanced. I'm in my forties and seriously considering getting back into flying as this would be (probably) the last chance of fulfilling a lifetime dream!

Thanks!

Where do you live? My flight school can’t get enough instructors and I know of many others in the same position.
Did you keep your cfi current? If not you will need a checkride.
Otherwise flight review and IPC. It won’t take long I have had a few customers do what you are thinking about.

Well that's good news and many thanks for the prompt reply, I appreciate it! Yes, fortunately I kept my CFI current! I'm aware that many schools are in need of instructors, but given the fact that I'm not in my twenties anymore and QOL becomes also more important with age (or at least one is trying to maintain the standard or even improve it). Looking for a place that pays well or above average and would prefer a salaried position, including benefits/insurance and not being pay by the hour! Is this realistic or am I asking for too much? Any advise appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Well that's good news and many thanks for the prompt reply, I appreciate it! Yes, fortunately I kept my CFI current! I'm aware that many schools are in need of instructors, but given the fact that I'm not in my twenties anymore and QOL becomes also more important with age (or at least one is trying to maintain the standard or even improve it). Looking for a place that pays well or above average and would prefer a salaried position, including benefits/insurance and not being pay by the hour! Is this realistic or am I asking for too much? Any advise appreciated! Thanks!

Where are you located?

Looking for a place that pays well or above average and would prefer a salaried position, including benefits/insurance and not being pay by the hour! Is this realistic or am I asking for too much? Any advise appreciated! Thanks!

There isn't that much of a shortage yet. Several of the larger 141 schools and most of the universities are offering benefits, but virtually all are hourly until you get up to management.

If you have some experience, you can expect to move through the line instructor phase to a check airman or lead instructor quickly.

Location dosen't matter to me! I'm flexible and mobile, willing to go anywhere in the States!

Okay. Then I'd go to a major market where there is a concentration of wealth that can afford to fly GA coupled with an FBO/established flight school. Start knocking on doors and hanging out a shingle.

I have a friend who is a freelance CFI, charges $60-70 an hour for instruction and has more work than he can typically handle because he has a good reputation. I don't know of a flight school that *isn't* looking for CFIs, and I know of at least one flying club where they'll offset/waive part of the membership fees if you come to the club as a CFI.

Okay. Then I'd go to a major market where there is a concentration of wealth that can afford to fly GA coupled with an FBO/established flight school. Start knocking on doors and hanging out a shingle.

I have a friend who is a freelance CFI, charges $60-70 an hour for instruction and has more work than he can typically handle because he has a good reputation. I don't know of a flight school that *isn't* looking for CFIs, and I know of at least one flying club where they'll offset/waive part of the membership fees if you come to the club as a CFI.

Quoted for emphasis.

Don't go to a mill unless you just want to be paid in flight hours. I'm in a tiny market, and make $35-45/hour teaching at a little 61+141 school as a side hustle.

The newsbot just popped up with an add for teaching USAF IFS out of Peubleo CO.

Salary, benefits, motivated students.

Check out AeroGuard Flight Training Center. They have salaried positions, benefits, and lots of room to advance.

Back