SouthernJets Hirings Tests

SlumTodd_Millionaire

Most Hated Member
I’m about to do some hiring, and I’m looking for the best tests to use for cognitive ability and personality. Can any Southernjetters let me know what tests they’re using? Is it Wonderlic and MMPI, or something else?

I’m about to do some hiring, and I’m looking for the best tests to use for cognitive ability and personality. Can any Southernjetters let me know what tests they’re using? Is it Wonderlic and MMPI, or something else?
So checking out their fb and other social media accounts isn't working out for you anymore?
I don't think they(sji) do any more, but I think they feel its a closely guarded secret, and I doubt they would tell you on an open forum.
If you are seriously considering this, I would call Dr Kevin Hickey. He's an industrial psychologist in Atl for the last 30yrs. and has had some big name clients in the Atl area. I don't know if Sji was one of them, but it may be worth a consultation if you're serious about it.

Any suggestions on a better personality test? Or are they all "gameable?"

They are all gameable in one way or another. The issue with all of them also is that they are designed for a certain demographic to appear "normal". If you aren't part of that demographic you are automatically handicapped. In the case of the MMPI it's white males from the 1950s. I actually failed the test (well, my results were inconclusive) because I don't drink alcohol and the test assumed that because I answered no (or yes, depending on how they were phrased) to all the drinking questions, I was lying. The guy administering the retest told me to lie "a little bit" about your drinking so the test thinks you are "normal".

So checking out their fb and other social media accounts isn't working out for you anymore?

Oh, I’m still definitely doing that! :) In fact, the new application tells them to list their social media profiles, and states that lying about them would be a disqualifier and a terminable offense if discovered.

I don't think they(sji) do any more, but I think they feel its a closely guarded secret, and I doubt they would tell you on an open forum.
If you are seriously considering this, I would call Dr Kevin Hickey. He's an industrial psychologist in Atl for the last 30yrs. and has had some big name clients in the Atl area. I don't know if Sji was one of them, but it may be worth a consultation if you're serious about it.

I’m not looking to do the full psychiatrist screening. Just the written test.

I’ve been using the Devine Group for a couple of years now for sales associate assessments. They’re decent, but ultimately it’s just a tool to either construct and guide the interview or to coach an existing associate if their performance isn’t where you want it.

I’d be happy to send you an old report if you want to take a look.

Oh, I’m still definitely doing that! :) In fact, the new application tells them to list their social media profiles, and states that lying about them would be a disqualifier and a terminable offense if discovered.
If you ever get an app that says General_Lee /flight info, you know I gave someone a bum steer

I’m thinking you’re probably right. Other business owners I speak to swear by these things, but I’m wondering if it’s just BS that I don’t need to bother with.
Here's my advice, and it's not worth much, but if your business is not so big that you are not personally involved in every hiring decision, I wouldn't do it. It's worth it if you've totally delegated the hiring and firing to someone else.

Here's my advice, and it's not worth much, but if your business is not so big that you are not personally involved in every hiring decision, I wouldn't do it. It's worth it if you've totally delegated the hiring and firing to someone else.

The thing with these assessments though is that they're supposed to be more than just hire/no-hire decision makers. They're coaching tools as well, so if you bring somebody on board you have a good idea of where they will need the most development.

Yeah, sounds like a lot of waste motion.

Personality tests are the dumbest thing ever. Aptitude tests might have some merit (although based on many of the trainees I’ve seen I have my doubts) but overall I think they’re a waste of time.

I could maybe get you in contact with some people.

Thanks! Disregard, though. I ended up going with Wonderlic for both. Turns out they have a three-part test now that combines their original cognitive test with personality testing and motivational testing also, so you get everything from them in one package.

Back